Did any of you consider a Sportswagen?

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by sambub, May 3, 2012.

1. sambub

sambub New Member

Car:
    Saab 9-5
    Newbie here. Thanks for all the great info! I'm close to getting a car and have narrowed it down to the Passat TDI SE (manual) or a loaded TDI wagon (manual, NAV, roof). I like the Passat, but will dearly miss a roof and the roof on the Jetta is so cool. Plus, it'd be nice to have NAV. Anyone else consider the wagon? If so, why'd you opt for the Passat?
    login to remove this ad
  2. 12whitejsw

12whitejsw New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta Sportwagen
    I had a similar experience when choosing my car. As it is I was due for a new company car and the Passat and JSW were in contention. I like the Passat, a lot of room, great mileage, nice looks...so on. But I also like the JSW, available nav w/giant sunroof, sporty looks and again great mileage. I think both vehicles are great cars but I guess it came down to cost. I could get a fully loaded JSW for the cost of a base Passat TDI. Also, I drive 90% by myself so additional rear leg room was not a major concern. Plus parking is easier with a smaller vehicle. Lastly, my fiance recently got the new Jetta sedan TDI. That thing has the roughly the same interior space as the Passat and is cheaper.
    I am not against or dogging the Passat as it is a great car for those looking to move out of the compact/midsize arena to the full size car. I am currently trying to convince my father to move to a Passat as he is use to a full size and needs a new vehicle.
    So I guess it just boils down to size and features. Do you want all the bells and whistles in a smaller package or are you willing to spend more for a larger car?
  3. WeeeZer14

WeeeZer14 New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SE
    My wife and I were also considering a JSW as well as the Passat. Deciding factor for us was my height. I am 6'7" and while I could fit behind the wheel of either, in the JSW there was no rear leg room left once I adjusted the driver's seat. In the Passat there is still a functional back seat with me in the front.
  4. oldoarsman

oldoarsman New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Passat SEL TDI Tungsten Steel/Cornsilk Beige
    Replaced 1997 w/ JSW

I am 6'5" with a 37" inseam. We purchased a 2010 JSW TDI to replace our '97 Passat TDI. Loved the utility and driving experience, but the car became increasingly more uncomfortable to drive based on it's size...added to the fact that no one could sit behind me while I was driving, it had become a two person vehicle.

Right shoulder and left foot surgery made it impossible to drive our 6 speed manual, and the Passat TDI w/ DSG became available

We are very pleased with the size, comfort, mileage and drivability of our new vehicle...without a Passat TDI wagon, this is the best alternative for us.

After 25 years of manual VW diesels, the DSG was an adjustment, but we have come to enjoy using it, and are very impressed with our mileage versus our JSW.

Great vehicle!
  5. lindtech

lindtech New Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Passat
    I went from a 2009 TDI wagon to a 2012 TDI Passat as I fit in the Passat alot better. Also get 10% better economy with the Passat.
  6. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL
    My criteria when I started looking was something that'd carry plenty of luggage and curling brooms, plus seat four comfortably (my curling team) -- and good fuel economy. I considered hybrids and alternate fuels.

... and a small station wagon seemed like a good fit.

I drove the JSW (which is really a GSW) and was basically sold.

Then I found through my research that the Passat got slightly better mileage, and went for a test drive just to make sure I wasn't missing anything -- and never looked back.

I've had my new Passat for about ten days.

The price difference from a loaded JSW with DSG, and my SEL was about $4k.
  7. shoremnj

shoremnj New Member

Car:
    passat/2012
    Mods:
    20% tint rear 5 windows, 35% front sides.
    I did until I saw the Passat TDI
  8. VW_norm

VW_norm Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SEL TDI, 2007 Touareg VR6
    The JSW was my first choice, but after test driving a couple (both gas and TDI), and then the Passat (both gas and TDI), it was clear that the roomier driver position for the Passat made the deal. The JSW, while nice and really liked the wagon style, was a bit tight for my 6'2" frame. I just wasn't as comfortable in the the JSW as the Passat, so it was pretty much a done deal at that point. Kind of like trying on shoes - you want a pair that fits properly, not too tight - which was the JSW to me. Plus the Passat TDI SEL had a nicer trim and style that appealed to me.
  9. vdubguy2

vdubguy2 New Member

Car:
    2002 VW Golf TDI, 2012 VW Passat TDI
    We went to the dealer to buy a JSW, but after test driving the JSW and the Passat, we decided the Passat is much roomier and promised better fuel economy. We love our 2012 Passat TDI SE with 6-speed manual transmission.