1. patrickclayton55

patrickclayton55 New Member

Car:
    Volkswagen Jetta tdi 2006
    Hey guys/gals, I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with the 1.9 BRM engine. I purchased to car used (170,000miles) and initially would get 45-48 mpg depending on highway / city driving. It has slowly decreased to 40-42 mpg and now regularly gets 37-39 mpg. Car still performs well, I've recently changed the timing belt and fuel filter which made no difference. Any ideas where to begin camshaft, injectors etc... Car currently has 228,000 miles on it.

2. scall10

scall10 New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Amarok TDI
    I have the same car as you, and same issue, about 35 mpg mostly hwy.

Take off the valve cover by removing the t30 torx screws. It is easy and takes 10 mins. Once it's off, you'll be able to see the camshaft. Touch the lobes with your finger. If the edges of the peaks are sharp, you need to replace it along with the lifters. I'm about to do mine. There is a good kit on eBay for $250 with quality parts. There is a tutorial on here about how to do it all. That, along with cleaning the EGR should fix your problem (assuming your turbo and injectors are fine, which they should be).

Remember to use 5w-40 VW 505.01 oil, no matter what. You can get it for $31 on eBay. No sense in saving $5-10 every 10,000 miles to buy other (Rotella t6, M1 TDT) oils that people claim are fine, but not 505.01.

I'd also recommend doing a Liqui Moly Diesel Purge to clean the injectors. About $10 a can and people claim it helps a lot.

3. patrickclayton55

patrickclayton55 New Member

Car:
    Volkswagen Jetta tdi 2006
    Thanks scall10 I figured that is where I was headed but was holding out hope for a easy less expensive option. I'll probably replace the cam after the weather cools off around here but will try the liquid moly diesel purge in the meantime. I've always used the VW recommended oil when changing mine but can't speak for the previous owner. Thanks again for the reply.

4. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    So the only time I saw mileage as awful as 35mpg highway in my '06 BRM, I had two bicycles on a bike rack hanging off the back acting like a massive sail going 80 mph - and even then, it was 38'ish! I used to nominally get upper 40's (like 48/49 and sometimes even 50 for tankfuls) with almost exclusively highway driving. When I changed my camshaft, it went down to about 43 - 45. I adjusted my injectors, and am up to 46 - 47.

I second the Diesel purge. Check your timing (torsion value), as I found when I used the locking pin/crank lock, my torsion value was like -4 rather than 1.0 suggested in the writeups - translated to the timing was a bit retarded which would impact economy. You may want to check your boost pressure and check the vnt actuator adjustment (you can test with the zip tie wiki). I think as the mileage gets higher on these cars, I think intake may build up more crud, especially when the cams start going bad. I think that is the cause of my slightly decreased mileage, exhaust pushed back into the intake because the exhaust valve does not open has crud'ed up the intake.

So that is the end of my useful contribution :) Re: Oil. hmmmmmmmm.
    Oil is an interesting discussion. I only use the 5w40 505.01 as stated but there are some pretty passionate folks about the M1 TDT and Rotella T6. I honestly don't know what the right answer is. My "VW diesel expert" (a guy who literally only works on VW TDIs) said to use M1 TDT/Rotella T6 and add ZPPF and not bother with the 505.01... And yet, I use 505.01 :) I honestly have no desire to become an expert on oil, so will probably stay the course... However, just to add confusion, I read sites like this one: http://www.dbwllc.net/product/pd-tdi-cam-replacement-kits/ where they SELL camshaft replacements and they recommend M1TDT but then follow it up with a nasty warning about only using 505.01 approved oils. It is all very confusing.

5. scall10

scall10 New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Amarok TDI
    I know where you are coming from about the oil. I've read tons of threads where people love T6. I just think that you are safer going by what the people who made the engine say.

I'm curious as to why your MPG dropped after changing the cam. The whole reason I'm changing mine to increase MPG. You're not giving me much hope! How did you check your timing (torsion value)?

6. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    I don't know why my mileage dropped. I have theories, but until proven, nothing I can say. Possibly crude in the intake and I want to check the compression to see if there may be valve damage from the cam wear - not likely but it is an easy check.

I should probably add some observations as I am not 100% certain I have a problem in mine. What I have noticed, wonder if others have seen the same.
    When it's 30 or less degrees out, I would get in the low to mid 40s mpg
    40ish, I would get mid 40mpg
    50, 40s and into 50 mpg
    60 to low 70's, mid to upper 40s
    Mid 70 to mid 80s, solid mid 40s
    High 80s and beyond low 40s
    High 90s, sometimes down into upper 30s.

Right now we are in the 60s in the morning to 80s late afternoon so I may be in that observational area already.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017