Daughter put gas in my 09 TDI Touareg

Discussion in 'Audi Q5, Q7, Touareg TDI, Porsche Cayenne forum' started by pilotmike, Jan 12, 2011.

1. pilotmike

pilotmike New Member

Car:
    2009 Touareg TDI
    Did the search , read about all the warranty issues, this situation is different.

Ok, she filled it up, drove about a mile, sputtered then died.
    Towed it to the dealer, metal in lines, whole fuel system needs to be replaced, according to dealer. I've read all about the HPFP issues.

My insurance wants to pay the dealer $3700 to replace the pump, and injectors.
    The dealers estimate is for $16,000.

Insurance doesn't want to cough up the difference, VW is saying they have to replace everything in order for the warranty to still be valid.
    Any advice, other than not to ever let my Daughter drive it again......
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    More specifics on this: "metal in lines"? This is key.

Your insurance is YOUR insurance. They should be on your side and work it out with the dealer, you pay the premium, tell them to fix it. I can tell from the dealer's estimate that they want to replace, as you said, anything that could possibly be affected. Any list of specific items that the dealer wants to replace? Like an invoice? Some things like the fuel tank can be cleaned instead of replaced?
  3. vwbeamer

vwbeamer New Member

Car:
    2004 jetta wagon
    I know that some insurance companies offer extended warranties for mechanical breakdown. Maybe you can talk with your agent and see if the insurance company is willing to give you an extended warranty on the repair. They should be willing to if they feel so confident only certian parts need to be replaced.

If not then you can contact the insurance commissioners office in your State to see if they can help.

Don't be too hard on your Daughter, everyone makes mistakes.

BTW, I wouldn't let her drive it again either....LOL.

4. Willie

Willie New Member

Car:
    still shopping
    I've run into dealer service claims like this before. The dealer quote is to replace all elements of the fuel system that may have been contaminated by gasoline. Their assertation is that anything touched by gasoline is ruined forever for further use with diesel*. All lines, filters, tanks, valves, pumps, injectors etc. $16K seems excessive though. Are they going to replace the head due to the common rail system? Asking for an itemized service proposal is excellent advice. I've found some real gems unsupported by the factory maintenance manuals in those. Including replacement of a complete wiring harness when the 2 defective connectors could have been replaced separately at about $10 each plus labor.

Depending upon the type of pump, the "metal in the lines" could be pump failure due to the lack of lubrication from gasoline. I'd think <1 mile shouldn't cause parts failure due to lack of lube but I don't know what type of pump is involved here. Or, it could have been due to previous abnormal wear and this is their excuse to avoid warranty coverage. Metal floating around in the head/injection system is a major issue. However, a real thorough clean & flush should be possible. I'll admit if I was on the hook for further warranty, a new head might go in there.

[Thought from several hours later: I wonder if they decided the DPF and cats are all contaminated and need replaced? I'd involve the Zone Service Manager (or whatever VOA calls him) from VOA about what's really necessary. Especially if those items show up on an itemized service proposal.]

Talking to the insurance commission about "dealing in bad faith" is worth a try. Mentioning the possibility to the insurance company first is also worth a try. That can cost them their right to do business in your state if it's upheld.

* That claim seems suspect since several engine manufacturers used to advise cutting #2 diesel with specified percentages of gasoine in below freezing temperatures to reduce the cloud point. Please note the "used to".
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2011
  5. LIQUIDSILVER

LIQUIDSILVER New Member

Although this sounds harsh, once the dust has settled, how about docking any difference out of your daughter's allowance or paycheck? Life has harsh lessons and this sounds fair to me. If it were her car she messed up would you bail her out?
  6. Offroad_TDI_Guy

Offroad_TDI_Guy New Member

Car:
    2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI
    It seems like this is one of those things that the Volkswagen Dealership will void the warranty altogether.
  7. dweisel

dweisel Member

Car:
    09 tdi Jetta Sedan-09 tdi Jetta SW-03 tdi Beetle
    Mods:
    dweisel's stainless fuel sending rods
    A couple of quick points. NONE of the contaminated fuel components can be cleaned. The fine metal particles produced from a hpfp failure are so small they can't be reliably cleaned. The metal particles almost impregnate themselves in any plastic components. NOT replacing the entire fuel system is just skipping over important steps in a correct repair and will probably result in a second hpfp failure. The second point is Gas contamination can cause a hpfp to fail in as little as 4 minutes at idle .

LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY!
    dweisel
  8. Audi5000TDI

Audi5000TDI Member

Car:
    2013 touareg tdi
    Mods:
    ID-10T detector for VW Stealerships
    Don't let her fuel up anything you intend to pilot or fly. my two cents

It's your responsibility as the owner to educate users of your vehicles as to how to properly fuel them... no one else's responsibility but yours. Educate, train, lead by example, parent... It wasn't the driving part, it was the fueling part you neglected to show her.
  9. ozarkgolfer

ozarkgolfer New Member

Car:
    '10 A3 TDI, '10 Jetta TDI
    Duh!

You don't know their circumstances or who these people are. The OP posted looking for help (and probably felt a little embarrassed whilst doing so) and not your self righteous bullying.

There are accidents in life every minute of the day. This one we can be pretty sure was 99% unintentional and did not put anyone in harms way.

What a Jimmy!
  10. alpha.kilo

alpha.kilo New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 2 dr
    Totally out of line

Your post was not helpful and totally inappropriate. If this is an example of how you jump to conclusions without possibly knowing all of the facts of the occurrence, I can only wonder what blunders you have accomplished in your lifetime.

AK
  11. Audi5000TDI

Audi5000TDI Member

Car:
    2013 touareg tdi
    Mods:
    Never had a misfueling failure, ever. 2 strokes, premix, chainsaws, boat motors, 4 strokes, mowers, cars, trucks, diesel cars, trucks, Cessnas, Citabria's, whatever.

RTFM is the solution, not fixing someone else's mistakes or problems, so one can be an Enabler for them the rest of their life. Don't operate equipment you aren't trained to fuel up or understand basic maintenance on.
  12. led1002

led1002 New Member

Car:
    2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
  13. ozarkgolfer

ozarkgolfer New Member

Car:
    Direct from the Fuelsure website:
    Misfuelling a Diesel Car, Van or Vehicle with Unleaded Petrol is a huge problem in the UK and around Europe. It's increasing year on year and 150,000 people do this in the UK alone, every year. Thats 400 people a day and 1 every 3.5 minutes. And the problem is growing Rapidly!

I guess they are enabled too? :panic:
  14. Audi5000TDI

Audi5000TDI Member

Car:
    2013 touareg tdi
    Mods:

Let's get to the root problem, what was your excuse on your misfueling of 38 gallons out of 40 on your Ford Excursion diesel, when you put gas in instead? Were you at fault for not paying attention?

If you need said device to solve your attention span problem when filling up, then by all means, get one.
  15. nutzou

nutzou New Member

Car:
    audi a4/b5 1.8T AEB '96
    16k I think this is a rip off. But still there is nothing you can do if that is the vw policies.i wish you good luck with solving the problem.
  16. ozarkgolfer

ozarkgolfer New Member

Car:
    I don't have an excuse and I don't need one. The consequence of my action meant I spent my money and my time fixing the problem.

If my college age son, who drives a Jetta tdi, puts gas in his diesel one time, it's an accident. Avoidable, just like my mishap, but I would be there to help him resolve the problem. If he does it a second time, again I would help him get back on the road at the time, but he would be financially responsible.

I think 99% of the people on this forum would agree with me. Filling a diesel with gas is an accident. It's avoidable yes, but accidents happen. Move on. I am. Thank you.
  17. Audi5000TDI

Audi5000TDI Member

Car:
    2013 touareg tdi
    Mods:
    I'd like to request you not speak for the other 99% of the board here in your posts, you really don't know what they think. Speak only for yourself.
  18. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thread locked for 24 hours to end pointless arguments. :)