dash warning lights on.

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by jon edwards, Dec 5, 2017.

1. jon edwards

jon edwards New Member

Car:
    2014 vw passat tdi se
    Hello, World.

2014 vw passat tdi se, manual trans. Love the car. Not so much now.

On a trip, the steering-wheel-air-bag warning light, the SRS warning light, the ABS warning light, the (second) airbag warning light, and the low tire pressure warning light all came on. Looks like a christmas tree.

Bought the RossTech vag-com to read the codes...lots of errors pretty much corresponding to the warning lights. I don't believe all those faults could crop up simultaneously, but rather expect something in common to be causing it.

Did some searches, found folks with wet ECU in older passats. ECU in 2014 is between the battery and fuse box, has its' own umbrella, and was completely dry.

Some more searches, found folks with bad ground issues. Traced the ground from the battery to the firewall, found an acorn nut painted body-color-silver with the edges of the nut rounded as if by an idiot with a crescent wrench. I'm certainly qualified to do this maneuver but didn't. Took nut off, added conductive grease to the cable and nut, reassembled. Reset DTC codes, warning lights went off for an hour drive with two stops, came back on after car sat for an hour.

I'm guessing perhaps the battery is getting old (3 years, just barely out of warrenty)? Bad voltage regulator? More grounding issues? I could trace and debug each and every warning, but what are the chances they all pop up simultaneously?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

If you have VAG-COM (providing its not a cheap Chinese cloned cable) post the error codes found? You can check all faulty components further.

Post moved to correct section as OP can't read sub forum titles. ;)

3. jon edwards

jon edwards New Member

Car:
    2014 vw passat tdi se
    It was not my intent to be rude. I am, in fact, here to learn how best to keep my favorite car running. Since I bought a diesel with the intent of keeping it for decades, and since cars tend to come apart if not tended, I suspect I will be here on the forum for decades.

So, Keith, any idea what might cause multiple simultaneous warnings?

4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    If those 4 warning lights that are showing as I've said you have VAG-COM do a full AutoScan and post the results of the log file.

How long ago did you buy VAG-COM cable? As that's the old name which was changed to VCDS in 2008 because of copyright. Users still use the old name.

If it is a genuine cable register it online if you haven't already VCDS Dongle Registration then you can join the Ross-Tech forum and post a new thread about your problems along with the full AutoScan attached.

How to post an Auto-Scan

Whether there are any error codes or not. There is more useful system info in there, how the car is equipped and configured.

Free EOBD II Error Codes software