Cruise Control is Fixed! YAY!!

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by TDIJettaGirl, Mar 2, 2011.

1. TDIJettaGirl

TDIJettaGirl New Member

Car:
    It seems to be rare when somebody actually posts that a fix was done and how it took place. 2005 Jetta TDI (early '05), 171k miles.....I love my car.... Cruise control has been non-functioning for a couple years now. After taking it to four, yes I said 4, independent shops and 1 VW dealership I finally got it fixed at independent #5. Whoo hooo!! Everybody kept saying it was the ECM. I gave in and took it to #5 and they said it was a relay. Ookaaaay....how confident are you that it's going to fix it, I asked....."very" was the response & that I wouldn't have to pay for anything if it didn't fix it. OK, fix it. And, they did!!

So, just wanted to let everybody know that if you are having cruise problems and all the on/off, set/resume switches and brake light switches, etc didn't (or won't) fix it.....try a relay. I have no idea which one, but it's at least a direction to go in.

:D
    login to remove this ad
  2. Hazady

Hazady New Member

What was the part number that fixed this thing? Someone else might find it useful too :)
  3. TDIJettaGirl

TDIJettaGirl New Member

Car:
    Sad to say I don't have the part number :( All the repair slip says is remove & replace cruise control relay, perform adaptation function, rest computer and retest cruise control functions. Sorry I don't have the part number. It does say "control relay" if that helps.
  4. newbrewer

newbrewer New Member

Car:
    Volkswagen Jetta TDI
    2005 VW JETTA TDI Cruise Control problems

TDIGIRL, Do us all a favor and contact the shop and ask them what relay they replaced. I wonder if they just reset the ECU, and charged you for a relay. Shops often do this to girls. - Very unfortunate, but if you don't ask questions and request specifics they see this as a free meal ticket. There is no mention of a Relay in any of the manuals, but it does tell the technician to reset the ECU as part of the trouble shooting for this problem.

Ask them what relay, and post it here. Then lets see if it makes sense.
  5. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    The only cruise control I have is in my foot, no relays or fuses and as long as I feed my face, take the right excercise and sleep a decent amount it just keeps on working:D
  6. TDIJettaGirl

TDIJettaGirl New Member

Car:
    Sorry it's taken so long to get a response back on this. I finally was able to get back to the shop and ask about the part number. Originally I was told it was a relay, but it sounds more like it's within a throttle positioning sensor part. I was also told that if you look it up it's basically just going to show you the gas pedal. But, here's the part number 6Q1 721 503. I hope this can help somebody that has had the same issue I did.