cross border warranties

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by dtipping, Jun 22, 2012.

1. dtipping

dtipping New Member

Car:
    would like 2012 passat
    I would like to buy a Passat. My daughter is currently living in Florida and too young to rent so ideally I would like to buy a Passat in Florida, let her drive it until she's finished in the fall and then drive it home to British Columbia. Would the warranty be valid or does VW have an after the fact warranty on offer? Any info appreciated.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

The VW warranty should be the exactly the same in any State though it does vary from country to country. The UK is 3 years or 60k miles. I think you US is 3 years or 30k miles.
  3. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Are you planning to import the car into Canada or keep it with a Florida registration?

Many car companies operating in Canada actively discourage cross-border car shopping and will not be cooperative in any way once the car is re-registered in the second jurisdiction. This is different from a case where someone from one country is temporarily in the other but hasn't changed the registration of the vehicle.

Feel free to look into this, but I wouldn't count on warranty coverage.

All the best,

Yuri
  4. mo_focus

mo_focus New Member

As Yuri said, the warranty will not be active if you try to import it to Canada. Last active warranty for VW was 2009 i think. VW did this to deter people from importing to Canada.

Lot of north states dont even sell to Canadians, or they will ask for a premium just when you tell them you want to import to Canada.
  5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I've just read on another forum.

6. ggbaas

ggbaas Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREMIUM
    Mods:
    None
    No warranty on imported post 2009 VW. I knew this before importing my 2012 SEL Prem.