Cranks but no start after a HPFP failure repair. Please HELP! 2011 TDI

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by lambadas, Oct 30, 2016.

1. lambadas

lambadas New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI 2011
    Hi everyone,

I had a HPFP failure on my 2011 Jetta TDI.
    The car has about 204,000km

Bought a used fuel system from a rear-ended 2009 Jetta TDI and put it into my 2011 Jetta TDI
    All the parts were identical, except the fuel filter had a bit of a different design but same exact fitting..
    Did the injector adaption and primed the fuel system with my Delphi Scanner.. I could hear both pumps running (the aux pump and the interior one..)
    First day after repairs, the car would't start.. It cranked healthy but no start.
    Second day, the car started from a second try of cranking and ran for about 5 seconds and then died. Car sounded great for that period of time.
    Now it still cranks healthy but no start...
    No check engine
    The only light I have ON is the yellow steering wheel on the dash that stays ON.. it was something about steering wheel sensor but that I believe could be related to my battery because the car was parked for about 3 months waiting for the parts and the battery died.
    I did charge it overnight before I started it for the first time.

The parts I replaced:
    1) HPFP
    2) 4 injectors
    3) all the metal fuel lines
    4) some rubber fuel lines
    5) fuel rail
    5) aux pump
    6) fuel filter housing
    7) new fuel filter

I haven't replaced the fuel lines from underneath the car and the interior fuel pump but I did wash them with hot soapy water and blew it with air compressor
    Did this procedure for about 6-7 times for each line and pump.

What could be the issue?
    Does the car needs some sort of a hard reset or something?
    Could it be the difference in years of the car (2009 vs 2011) causing the issue? it did start though for about 5 seconds and it worked great..
    Please help!!

2. 2micron

2micron New Member

Car:
    2010 JSW
    lambadas likes this.
  3. thzpcs

thzpcs Member

Car:
    2008 Golf TDI
    Have you checked the pressure in the system?

lambadas likes this.
  4. lambadas

lambadas New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI 2011
    Thzpcs: yes, the pressure was below normal, something around 0.08 or 0.8 bars...

The issue was in the hpfp itself.
    It had a microscopic dirt inside it.
    I removed the head of the pump into pieces, cleaned it up, blew it with air compressor, put it back, primed for 3 times and it started right away!!
    All this thanks to 2micron for sending me his own instructions step by step on how to do it.., a lot of pages and very explicit. very smart and helpful guy! Andrew you are the man!!! Thank you so much for your help. Very happy with the car now!

Cheers!

chittychittybangbang likes this.
  5. thzpcs

thzpcs Member

Car:
    2008 Golf TDI
    That's awesome! Although that's a bit concerning how dirt got into the system...