Cracked block?

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by karlchilders, Jun 20, 2012.

1. karlchilders

karlchilders New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI
    Have recently removed cylinder head on 2005 BHW Passat due to unseen coolant loss and white smoke/ rough idle. Cylinder head diagnostics were fine (no warpage/ pressure checked ok). Cam wear was minimal. Replaced head with new gasket, cam bearings, bolts, etc.
    Engine cranked fine, idled fine at initial start up but when coolant was eventually topped off (by removing heater core return line and allowing air to bleed out of system) engine instantly begin idling rough, blowing white smoke and now a coolant leak is present on passenger side of engine. I can not visualize source of leak due to tight space in engine compartment.
    My question is do I assume block is cracked and if so what would be most economical course of action?
    Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Some ideas: water pump o-ring could have been pinched and leaking there

however that will not cause rough idling so you may be onto something. Is the coolant sooty? How is engine compression? The crack would have to go through the cyl to the coolant passage and to be leaking down the engine side, be through to the outside. cracked block is possible but rare on these engines unless someone throws a rod. A remote possibility is that if there's liquid sitting in head bolt holes it could hydrolock when a bolt is tightened down. However, you had those symptoms before head removal.
  3. karlchilders

karlchilders New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI
    EGR cooler?

So today I found coolant flange on backside of head is leaking at o ring as well as what I think is an internal crack in EGR cooler. When coolant system is pressurized can here hissing/ bubbling echoing out of cooler. Removed cooler, turbo, and head and exhaust side of turbo was full of water. Also when I fill open egr coolant lines with water it leaks out the exhaust flange of cooler.
    My question now is: Would it be better to delete EGR cooler/ valve and if so where is the best place to get a kit?
    Thanks again for any opnions.
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Take a piece of sheet metal, cut to gasket shape and you're done. However, you'll have permanent CEL and instant fail if you have inspections. ECU must be reflashed with ecu delete program to work w/o CEL. Also, NOx emissions will go up a lot.