Coolant Smell

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by ancnfamily, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ancnfamily

ancnfamily New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat Tdi comfortline
    So after driving my 2012 Passat TDI and parking it in a garage I can smell a bit of engine coolant. When I check level when hot it seems to be ok and it does not change. Had a dealer look at it and they said that everything is ok and they can't find any issues. Smell seems to be stronger on the drivers side of the engine. Does anyone of you smell coolant and should I be worried about it?

thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
    login to remove this ad
  2. Jim W

Jim W Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    2011 Jetta-none, 2008 RAM Mega Cab lost the BlueTe
    Hi,
    Is the smell similar to a water vapor smell? Do you smell this all of the time or just once in awhile?
    What you might be smelling is the completion of the Regen cycle. I also use to smell the Regen finishing up on my 08 Ram but the truck lost the Blue-Tec emissions somewhere. Now my wife's Jetta has the same orders when regening.
    Jim W.
  3. ancnfamily

ancnfamily New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat Tdi comfortline
    It smells when it gets hot and after each ride. dealer told me it could be vapours due to engine running hot. Smell is on the right side of the engine, and when I smell around overflow tank, there is no smell.
  4. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    Sounds like you have a valid issue, but dealer will not be of much help until there are visible signs. My recommendation is to remove the belly (bottom engine cover) to take a close look and be prepared to snap some photos. Definitely do this before your warranty expires.