1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Coolant Leak -- '06 Jetta (EGR Hose?)

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI' started by dano0726, Feb 20, 2011.

1. dano0726

dano0726 New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    Wife's Jetta is leaking coolant -- I pulled the belly pan and noticed the wetness here. Although I can't see an actual hole/split, when I squeezed the hose (pointing to 11 o'clock), coolant seemed to drip out.

Is this my EGR hose (pointing to 11 o'clock)? My vision is blocked (from seeing the end of the hose) by the silver bag/shield -- what is that as well?

Mileage = 55,355 right now. Doesn't seem to be leaking at all near water pump. Other locations to check for leaks?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The silver thing is a heat shield wrap, I think it may be for the egr cooler. I can't tell which hose it is, if it goes to the flange on the head it's probably 3c0 121 157 aa, if it's the other one it's probably 1k0 121 157 bk.
  3. dano0726

dano0726 New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    ChittyChitty:

Thanks for the quick reply -- is it easier to replace the entire hose?

dano0726
  4. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Not sure but it's not recommended to repair the hose since it should be pretty cheap. FYI, there's a writeup contest for new writeups so if you want to document this with step by step pics I'm sure it could help others and it will also qualify for the contest. More pics are better than too few pics :)
  5. dano0726

dano0726 New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    Completed the Hose Replacement -- No Leaks (so far)

I replaced the hose assembly (you have to replace both hoses), quick connectors, and hose clamps today.

Here are the part numbers: dual hose assembly (1K0-122-157-GH), two quick connectors that mount on the firewall (1K0-122-291-H [top] and 1K0-122-291-J [bottom] -- they have to be replaced) and one 3 liter container of VW Coolant (G-012-A8G-1G). Remember to mix the coolant with distilled water at a minimum of 50/50 or maximum of 70/30 ratio. All of this for just under $100...

In addition, I purchased 4 screw hose clamps to swap out those spring load hose clamps that VW installs from the factory.

Finally, buy a spring loaded hose clamp (from Sears/Craftsman). It is a major requirement to remove the 4 spring hose clamps as well as the air intake tube near the firewall (in order to reach both quick connectors on the firewall) -- don't even try to use needlenose/channel locks/other; the space is extremely tight for top and bottom hose clamps.

1. Get the Jetta elevated with ramps; I wouldn't recommend jack stands since you will be moving around alot underneath the engine bay area. Wear eye protection and old clothes (long sleeves) Have multiple flashlights ready to light up everything.

2. Crawl under the car and remove the plastic belly pan protector; get it out of the way.

3. Crawl back towards the firewall on the passenger side and look up. You will see the "space blanket" which is a heat shield and remove. See my picture. The 1st hose is connected there. Use your newly acquired spring loaded hose clamp to loosen and move upwards to pull off the hose. Get ready because you will get a face full (trust me here) of coolant dripping when you try to pull the hose. It took me a very long time to get it off (knife to cut away and scrape off). Now find the 2nd hose and repeat; it's higher up towards the center of the engine bay maybe 6 or 8 inches from the 1st hose. Look about 10 o'clock from the 1st hose. Take a well deserved break because you've earned it.

4. Get from underneath the car and remove the air intake tube -- it has 2 connections that must be removed and 2 more dreaded spring clamps. The front one is near the air filter, and the second one is towards the back near the firewall. There is a secondary plastic hose (sorry for my ignorance as to what is the mechanical terms here) on top of the fatter air intake tube that pulls apart. Once you get everything out of the way, you will see the 2 quick connectors on the firewall. There is a metal clip on each that needs to be removed as well as those spring hose clamps for the top of each hose.

5. Once you have removed the metal clip (do the top one first), take care of the spring hose clamp and remove the old hose; move it back some and repeat everything for the 2nd/lower quick connector. Install both new quick connectors in reverse order; bottom one first, then the top one.

6. Crawl back underneath and install your new dual hose assembly; I used the screw hose clamps instead of the spring clamps -- you decide, but it was easier for me to use a screwdriver and a socket to get all 4 tightened. Install the bottom fittings first and run the top up from underneath. Line up your clamps beforehand (as to how you want to tighten; remember the bad angles you have to deal with). I took my time with this step -- it could be fast or it could take a long time.

7. Now that you have both hoses connected (and clamped top and bottom) and have tested both quick connections, then re-install the "space blanket"/heat shield and clean up a little bit underneath.

8. Re-install the air intake tube assembly and connections and test for proper alignment.

9. Congratulate yourself -- you have saved yourself about $300/$400 in dealership labor!

10. Fill up the coolant reservoir (remember to mix 50/50 coolant to distilled water ratio) to "max" line and start the Jetta. I did this step 3 separate times, driving around the block a couple of times, then driving for longer periods of time on each occasion. I would watch the dashboard for coolant light and the temp gauge. Would return home and let the car cool down and repeat (filling up the coolant reservoir to the "max" line each time.

I plan on watching (over the next couple of days) the coolant reservoir and crawl underneath to recheck my 4 connections -- so far no leaks are spotted.
  6. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    no pics? That's OK, your writeup will help a lot anyways.

I know what hose you replaced now. Here is the parts diagram with the hose you replaced for anyone else who has this problem.

Attached Files:

7. drajac

drajac New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Noticed problem with leaking coolant while on vacation 500 miles away from home. Thanks to this and similar posts, I managed to get home (adding half a gallon of distilled water every 50 miles). Ordered hose assembly from a local dealer and thanks to dano0726's instructions replaced it today. Took me three hours to finish the job. Did not have spring loaded hose clamp tool but managed to remove the clamps with pliers. Also, did not replace quick connectors - not sure if and why they have to be replaced. 2nd hose was kind of melted and glued to the metal pipe, so I had to cut it and scrape it off with knife. Also, I had a little problem mounting air intake to the turbo; for some reason plastic intake at the end of air intake tube was not screwed in and came off with the tube. Here are some pics:

Attached Files:

• tools.jpg
      tools.jpg
      File size:
      88.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      91 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      83.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      81.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      80 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      82 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      86.6 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      84.9 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      96.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  8. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    So was it the same hose?

Thanks for the pics, as you've found out, the remote operated hose clamp pliers are a huge help for clearance reasons.

Any other tips? I can put this into a FAQ article and you'll qualify for the writeup contest.
  9. drajac

drajac New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Yes, the same one (1K0-122-157-GH as shown on the first pic with tools). I agree that remote operated clamp tool would help a lot and would definitely order one for the future. BTW, where can I get one? Sears doesn't have it here in Canada.
    I was not thorough enough to read dano's instructions, so I did not remove the quick connections from the heater. This might help a lot as it would be easier to remove hose clamps on the bench in oppose to what I did.
    As I said the only problem I had was attaching plastic air intake to the housing of turbo charger. It has a bracket and a screw. I aligned the bracket (far side closer to the cabin) and used a wooden stick to hammer it on to align the screw with the hole.

I did not remove the heat shield on the bottom (silver bag thing). I managed to move it around so that I can access everything and did not want to break something by removing it.
    Also, I flushed the coolant as I added a lot of distilled water (removed lower radiator hose and pumped compressed air). Added coolant as described, several times, always to the max line, and then drive it for a bit.

And that's all; car runs great, no evidence of leaks.

Now, I am looking to purchase a good service manual with part list. Could you recommend any (where did you get that diagram from)?

Thanks to both of you guys!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  10. yaya789

yaya789 New Member

Car:
    2005 VW Jetta TDI
    Just had the same hose start leaking on my 2005 Jetta. The parts schematic, instructions and photos are going to make this quicker and easier. Thanks to all.........
  11. hercdriver

hercdriver Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI with DSG
    Wish I had this write up last Fall. I had the dealer do it for about $300. It looks like I could have saved a few bucks by doing it myself.
  12. siddid

siddid New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta 1.9 TDI
    I had the same two hoses go out, I think they are the heater hoses coming off the heater core?? I dont know, but I wish I would have seen this before I dished out $160.00 to fix it. If it happens again I can refer to this :D Thanks!
  13. tdidale

tdidale New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2006
    so what is the part that is covered by the heat shield/silver bag?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
  14. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  15. edison_GTI

edison_GTI New Member

Car:
    2006 TDI Edition
    My wife's '06 Jetta is having this leak, the car has 76K miles.

Quick question, aren't these the heater core hoses?
  16. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The pics that drajac provided are of the heater hoses.
  17. edison_GTI

edison_GTI New Member

Car:
    2006 TDI Edition
    I just asked because the title of the thread says EGR Hose Coolant Leak, not Heater Core Hose Coolant Leak. I was using the heater core for the search and I didn't find anything.
  18. Dale100

Dale100 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    Coolant leak

I have a coolant leak at the driver's side at the back of the cylinder head
    Wondering if it is the housing for the rad hose
    Have not had time to remove the intake hoses to see exactly where it is coming from
    Dale
  19. SUNRISE

SUNRISE New Member

Car:
    jetta/2005.5
    Would you recommend replacing upper and lower radiator hoses at the same time as the heater hoses? As well is their any other water related hoses that should be changed? Can these hoses be purchased in the aftermarket or they need to be OEM?

Thanks
  20. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    any coolant hose will work as long as they're formed, I wouldn't replace coolant hoses unless they're rubbing, have over 15 years or extremely high mileage on them.