Considering 2012 but concerned about reliability stories

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by jjsf64, May 29, 2012.

1. jjsf64

jjsf64 New Member

Car:
    I need a high mileage commuting vehicle to handle a 50 mile roundtrip commute to the office.
    A few decades ago, I owned a 1980 diesel Rabbit that took our family through the gas crisis days of that time. It also managed to take us home in one of the most severe snow storms ever to hit St. Louis. The car held up well but required a new exhaust system on an almost annual basis.

That positive experience caused me to consider buying a 2012 VW TDI MT. Unfortunately, the horror stories regarding catastrophic failures and fuel leaks and other misfortunes have caused me to pause and consider the possibility of Japanese quality high ground.

Would the owners of the TDI recommend the car to a new buyer? More importantly, if you had to do it over again, would you buy a VW product or go elsewhere?
    login to remove this ad
  2. JennyDriscoll

JennyDriscoll New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Passat
    I had similar concerns and did lots of reading/research on various forums as well as elsewhere. In the end, I went for it (I have a 60mi RT commute each day) and paid for an extended warranty.

I'm confident you'll get better responses from more experienced folk but wanted to add my own perspective just the same :)
  3. domano 68

domano 68 Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
    You know this is the Passat forum; not the Jetta forum.

Not sure how high ground remains over there in Japan. I looked at Accords, because I've had several Honda's over the years and they were great cars. Sat in a 2012 and I never could have imagined how junky and cheap it felt. I wanted to get out but felt bad and took it for a "test drive" anyway. After I purchased my Passat, we decided to get my wife one. Why, well her 2011 Honda Pilot had a crapped out tranny at 2k miles. Fluke, well maybe. Rack and pinion went out at 11k. Enough. Bye bye Japanese, hello Chattanoogan/German.

Love our Passats. Good luck to you.
  4. racordova1

racordova1 New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SE with Navi
    Mods:
    3M VentureShield clear bra, all window tint, debad
    As you will note in my other post, my Passat left me stranded and service from VW was less than spectacular. Also, add that I owned Hondas with excellent reliability and it would make you wonder if VW paid me to defect! LOL
    I absolutely love the Passat. Gas is in Prius territory, and you can carry the Prius in the trunk! Not to mention its got style and very refined. Honda lost its track a few years ago. It looks lost and outdated. Camry and mini me Corolla? No way. Hyundai feels good for a day and begins to wear.
    Get the Passat! Just my 2 cents. Others here have serious expertise...
  5. 2ndPassat

2ndPassat Member

Car:
    Passat TDI SEL Prem. 2012
    Go with gut

A good question. The reason we even considered the TDI Passat was because of the "green" technology that didn't involve "the battery issue" of hybrids, the big sedan vehicle size, the patriotic thing (assembled in USA), the European thing (German built engine and transmission) and the idea of getting something a bit unique. All this compounded by my 13 year old Golf finally getting too dangerous to drive... we needed to get another car.

Only Audi A3, Passat, Jetta and Golf show up in a $15-35K search on Edmunds (2012 Diesel Vehicles). Getting a diesel passenger vehicle is pretty limited unless you're willing to hit the 40s & 50s with BMW and Mercedes.

If reliability is the greatest concern....TOYOTA! (There, I said it! Dammit!) Our relatively inexpensive 2006 Toyota Prius is the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned... really... writing this with our Prius at 87,000+miles. Fantastic gas mileage, lots of dash rattles, lack of driving excitement, lack of individuality/uniqueness and too-frequent maintenance intervals (5,000 mile, not provided by Toyota) required for warranty. After warranty, we keep a more reasonable 10,000 mile service schedule. 65,000 miles on the factory original tires. In short, "It's a good car".

Now with three different models of the Prius to choose from (small-medium-large), it's hard not to look at them. Proven reliability.

We had our new Passat TDI SEL Premium repaired already after the air conditioner leaked out freon.
    Nothing else has happened. (Fingers crossed) Volkswagens are not flawless. They are good cars, not the best. That's about it.

I hope you look around and find the vehicle that really suits you. - 2ndPassat
  6. byrdman27615

byrdman27615 New Member

Car:
    Two 2012 tdi's, one dsg and one 6m
    Mods:
    Short shift and RNS 510
    I understand your reticence but we've purchased two 2012's, both tdi's. My wife commutes 180 miles a day and we moved from an equinox (29 mpg) to the tdi which will do a true 43-45 mpg. We're now at 15k miles and no issues whatsoever. Obviously it's something of a crap shoot, but after years of bmw's I'm really pleased to be paying less for solid cars.....
  7. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    JJ, you may want to rethink the Passat. 50 miles per day is not that much... even assuming that distance 7 days a week is less than 20K/year. If the majority of those miles are expressway or rural highway, that's a different story -- as TDIs shine in those environments. However if you want an upscale mid-sized sedan that easily exceeds 30+ MPG (40+ for most, 50+ for a few), then the only open issue is long term reliability. And frankly, it's an unknown, but not stopping me from eventually buying one.
  8. amsoilguy

amsoilguy New Member

Car:
    2012 Black on Black Volkswagon Passat SEL TDI
    Depends on what you want. You could buy a Dodge and know you bought junk, or a MB and pay for everything like it is gold. Had an 05 Passat TDI. Solid 45 mpg in the .summer. This new one is better than that already. And this is with only toddler miles (3000) which WILL get better. Good solid car. EVERY carmaker has issues even Toyota. Might I ask you to remeber the runaways.You do not have to worry about that with VW. even on my 05, hold down on the gas and apply the brake and it cuts fuel. Almost 40K for the new Prius? Not a chance. Like buying a Cadallac Cimmeron. Tiny car build on a Cavalier chasis. Rather have a real car around me, in case the 6 week wonders in the 18 wheeler next to you, decide to try to run you over. At least you have a chance with the Passat. Don't buy one. If you expect the worst, that is what you look for and you will find something wrong.... ANY CAR. I will keep my VW. Comfortable, great ride, just a great car. Just wish they built more of them for a larger selection. This is the nicest car I have owned or rode in. I stayed with VW. Choice is yours. That is why there are so many car companies, and why some needed bailouts and some did not.
  9. alfie

alfie New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Passat TDI
    Purchased a new 2011 Jetta TDI and had numerous issues that had to be remedied by the dealer within the first couple of months. Purchased a 2012 Passat TDI in April and have had no issues whatsoever. This car has been an absolute delight!
  10. rico567

rico567 Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    You know this is the Passat forum, not the Honda forum.

Sorry, had to do that.....:D
  11. eatpasta

eatpasta New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat
    Ive got 10k on mine already. Zero issues, zero problems. It's just as it was when it rolled off the showroom floor (minus a small dent left by an ******* who is VERY lucky I didnt see him do it...)

Go test drive one....if you like it, BUY it! There are no guarantees in life.... but extended warrantys are good.

:D
  12. domano 68

domano 68 Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
    Yes, I do. Glad you figured it out though. :laugh:
  13. Almir&

Almir& Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SE
    I bought a 2013 TDI SE about a month ago. Before that I had a Honda Accord 4cyl. One day I drove to the dealer not even anticipating on buying a new car, and I drove home in a Passat. This car cannot...cannot! be compared to an Accord or a Camry (my dad has a hybrid Camry) when it comes to quality of build and feel of a car. I think we already established that the Japanese make great boring reliable cars, and Germans make a great feel of the road cars. With the technology that went into building the Passat...and it being a diesel engine...I have no reservations of saying that this car will last for more than 10 yrs. After all, I don't think that you necessarily keep a car that's extremely reliable, but you keep a car that's fun to drive, enjoyable and somewhat easy on the wallet. I think that with the TDI Passat, you'll get the fuel economy of a hybrid, without fear of being run over by a 18 wheeler on the highway. Get extended warranty...and at the end..every car has it's problems....I'm willing to deal with the problems that VWs have instead of dealing with the feel of Japanese sedans.
  14. nascarlos3

nascarlos3 New Member

Car:
    2012 VW PASSAT TDI SE MANUAL
    Love my 6sp TDI Passat

I will not be long but I have had my 2012 TDI passat manual for 3 months now. It has 3,600 miles and I have had zero issues. I absolutely love this car because it is fuel efficient, attractive to look at and most importantly it is fun to drive. The build quality is excellent. You will definitely not be dissapointed. I am 26 and this is the first brand new car I have ever purchased and I literally think that I will one day hand this car down to my first-born. I will be posting pictures soon.
  15. Spyke

Spyke Member

Car:
    2012 VW Passat TDI SE
    I bought my tdi with 15 kms in february this year. Its 6 speed manual transmission and I'm driving approx. 1000 to 1500 kms per week 'cause I'm a district manager on the road. Today, I have 31 000 kms on the odo and no problem at all so far!

I traded my cadillac cts for this and I don't regret it, not at all! I should've done this a long time ago!

Plus, I drive between 1050 km to 1250 km before the gas light goes on! The best mileage I did was 1434 kms doing 90% highway, 10% city. At 1434 km, the warning message telling me its time to fuel the car because range left was 140 km.