confused about "throttle body"

Discussion in 'Audi TDI forums' started by aoleks, Dec 14, 2016.

1. aoleks

aoleks New Member

Car:
    Audi A4 B8 2008 2.0 TDI CR
    hi all,

I have yet another question, hopefully not too difficult. first, let me say that I have more than basic knowledge of engines and the differences between diesel and petrol engines. I know that diesels don't have a throttle body, as the airflow is constant and power is given by the amount of fuel. however, there is a valve that opens when the engine runs and closes completely when the engine stops. this is being sold on ebay as "throttle body", though I believe the name is wrong.

having done some reading, it turns out that the valve I'm talking about is the anti shudder valve. am I correct or am I missing something?

I'm only asking because I want to clean the EGR and the "throttle body", yet I'm not 100% sure what to look for.

thanks

2. Peca

Peca Member

Car:
    Passat b6, 2007, 103 KW
    You are absolutely right. The "throttle body" you have on your 2,0 CR is just anti shudder valve which is used to prevent engine shaking when you turn the engine off and also prevent DMF damage. EGR valve is screwed to intake manifold and anti shudder valve is on EGR valve. You can take the whole set off for cleaning it is not bad idea.

3. aoleks

aoleks New Member

Car:
    Audi A4 B8 2008 2.0 TDI CR
    can this valve be calibrated using VCDS? or it just a matter of clean/dirty and open/close?

thanks

4. Peca

Peca Member

Car:
    Passat b6, 2007, 103 KW
    There is no calibration, if your flap have some play inside valve there is no help you have to replace it, but always is best to try clean it first.

5. john Andrews

john Andrews New Member

Car:
    Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDi (uk) S-line Avant