Condensation in CR w/ Cold Weather Intercooler Installed

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by CRWalker, Mar 12, 2017.

1. CRWalker

CRWalker New Member

Car:
    2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    ECS Fog Light Kit, Continental Timing Belts, Gates Water Pump
    So, I read a lot of the threads about the intercoolers on the CBEA and CJAA engines. Then I found the links to the Cold Weather Intercooler tsb. Purchased and installed the CW intercooler. I'm still getting moisture in the intake.

I have a 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen 6speed Manual Trans.

Here's what else I do to help:

• Religiously put Stanadyne Blue label and Purple label in the fuel to help improve Cetane and reduce water in the fuel.
    • I fill up at the same Sheetz station every time (I like the stated minimum 40 cetane label that most stations do not have, so therefore I just don't trust it.)
    • Installed ID parts winter front back when we were getting 50 and below temperatures here in South-Central Pennsylvania
    • Once she's been up to operating coolant temp for about two minutes, every 3 trips or so I stay in gear and get her above 3K rpms for about a minute or so.
    • Most of the driving is done on my roughly 30 min trip to work over about 24 miles one way (So 2 of those trips per day at least)
    • I also installed the air filter with the prefilter on it for cold weather hoping that will catch moisture in the air coming in

Problem:
    I'm still getting moisture in the intake. If I get ballsy enough today, I'm going to go out into the bitter cold, drop the aluminum street shield and take pics of the stuff that comes out of the intercooler hoses after sitting sitting since last night around 11pm (currently almost 6:30pm here EST)

So, my question is what is the fix? She's running rough with good oil level (about 3,500 on the Liqui Moly top tec 4200 long life III full syn oil I use with genuine VW "zig-zag" design oil filter.) I replaced the fuel filter and sucked the water from the separator hole with VAG 5226 tool, and primed the fuel system post-filter replacement. Coolant was about 1/4in. Above minimum at operating temperature prior to adding some. Haven't seen noticable loss of coolant or oil (even though the oil pan gasket is seeping slightly since I installed the updated hex shaft for the oil pump).

Having the engineering mindset from living with engineers, I've thought through some out of the box solutions, but have yet to come up with a good fix. 1) A desiccant bag in the air box (problem is the ooze from those will cause a mess) 2) A water valve installed in the Intercooler hoses (problem is, I don't have enough understanding of the intake system or valves to know if hat would work/send DTCs or have unforeseen consequences) 3) oil vapor separator installation (problem is I don't know where to install that or if it would have any effect)

So, where are the engineers out there or folks that understand this engine well enough to help? From what I understand the problem is how the EGR works on our engines, i.e. Low Pressure EGR is opened when under high load, high rpms.

FYI I do have an EGR insufficient flow code that after replacing many of the components is either related to the EGR cooler/valve, EGR exhaust flap, Cracked DPF, or some extra step with basic settings that I didn't do/didn't know to do after installing the CW intercooler/Front Mounted EGR Valve/Throttle Body-Charge Air Pressure Valve on the Front of the Engine.

Any help would be appreciated. Whatever basic settings figures you need or measuring block values can be obtained if you tell me what block to go to.

login to remove this ad
  2. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Your gona pull the lowest charged hose and pour something out...

3. CRWalker

CRWalker New Member

Car:
    2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    ECS Fog Light Kit, Continental Timing Belts, Gates Water Pump
    Well, in fact, there was only very minimal amounts of anything in both hoses. Both sides, there wasn't even enough fluid to drip. Some remnant oil, so I concluded it's not a moisture issue. In light of that fact, the Cold Weather Intercooler is the way to go! I was getting around three to four tablespoons of drippage not including the gunk I had to wipe out from inside the hoses before...which was a ton. But this is the first time I've pulled the off since the new Intercooler was put on...hardly anything but residual oil vapor condensed in the cold weather on the hoses.

As far as the rough idle issue...I noticed my dogbone mount was sagging while under the car pulling the IC hoses. Turns out the trans. mount is ripping, engine mount is weak and mounts in the subframe are starting to crack moderately. Suffice to say the nearly 180k mile mounts want replacement.