Cold weather warm up

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Ponjohn, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Ponjohn

Ponjohn Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta
    My car can idle for 15 minutes in the garage and the temp gauge hasn't budged. Heater temp is warm not hot.

It takes 8 minutes ( maybe more) of driving before it gets to temp, is this normal?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Mine budges a little bit idling but driving temp sounds normal. If you leave early in the morning and it's still iced over everywhere it's normal. Heater temp is warm is a good sign, it's most likely the aux electric heater. It only runs when econ mode is off.
  3. Ponjohn

Ponjohn Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta
    Always at 190, very stable to.
  4. gt4494

gt4494 Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    My '05 acts the same as yours. Always has and probably always will. Letting it idle to warm up will never bring the temp up to normal. Just crank it up and let it idle for a minute or so to get the fluids moving and drive it. It should be up to temps after 10-15 minutes of driving (depending on outside temp).
  5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    You don't have to let the engine warm up on its own by letting it idle for 20 minutes or so. Just get in and drive it. The TDI's should have Auxiliary heaters this has been talked about before.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f19/auxillary-air-heater-2833/

There are two types of Auxiliary heater one where fuel is heated in the heater box like a blow lamp and the electric heating element like an hair dryer.

I can startup on a freezing winter morning and 100m up the road the heater is blowing warm and this isn't heat from the heater matrix so that must be an electric heating element.

The Canadian models are fitted with the mains powered block heaters.