Cold Air Intake = More turbo whine?

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by Shortshaft, May 9, 2012.

1. Shortshaft

Shortshaft New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    I'd like to hear my turbo. After owning a Dodge Cummins for awhile, the sound is addicting. I prefer not to get into the exhaust just yet, but would like to hear from others who've put on an aftermarket cold air set-up? Pro's / con's?
    2012 Golf TDI.....
    login to remove this ad
  2. ToeBall

ToeBall Member

Car:
    2010 VW JSW
    Mods:
    APR Intake, PDE Downpipe, Banks Exhaust, Malone St
    Sound's kinda rough, but you get the idea. This if intake, full exhaust, and debaffling the resonance damper.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_bDc44IUs&hd=1

By comparison, here's the exhaust...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_hyRwRaPHg&hd=1
  3. Shortshaft

Shortshaft New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    Thank-you! Can you hear it inside the car as well, and, which cold air system would you go with?
  4. ToeBall

ToeBall Member

Car:
    2010 VW JSW
    Mods:
    I've got the APR Carbonio. You can't really hear it over the exhaust, which I did first.

[​IMG]
    IMG_0419 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr
  5. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Active Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    On these Diesels, most CAI's will degrade the performance because they are actually a hot air intakes (draws air from inside the engine compartment) and also the filter media with these CAI's does not filter as well as OEM.

If you want to hear the turbo, get a bigger turbo and accept the turbo lag. Just because you can hear the turbo whine has absolutely nothing to do with how efficiently the turbo is working.
  6. Shortshaft

Shortshaft New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    Thanks for the info. I know on my Cummins, it made a HUGE difference and didn't know if it was something to consider or not. On that truck it had a 4" exhaust from the turbo back and it {along with the CAI}, let you know there was a turbo there. BTW...never mentioned "whine and efficiency" correlation. Just want to "hear" it......I probably will leave the intake alone and put an exhaust on it at some point....
  7. ToeBall

ToeBall Member

Car:
    2010 VW JSW
    Mods:
    Did you even look at the photo before posting this? It clearly bolts up to the same grill opening as the stock snorkel but doesn't make 4 90 degree turns before it goes into the plumbing. I don't disagree that it doesn't filter as well as stock though. Unfortunately, getting a bigger turbo is easier said than done. A turbo upgrade requires an exhaust upgrade as well, so you're looking at $1000+ for the turbo upgrade, and then doing the exhaust anyway. If you put in a high performance DPF, it'll be another $2000-$3000 for the exhaust, if not, then you can probably pull it off in the $1500 range, but will need a tune, so another $500 there and you're back to $2000 for the exhaust. So it comes down to $3000 for a turbo upgrade, or $300 for an intake.

I agree, for performance they're pointless on an otherwise stock engine. To be honest, I didn't really gain any performance when I added mine, though it did knock the smoke down a bit. If you were just after some sound, I'd probably start by debaffling the resonance damper. Not much gain, but it's free. Just be careful not to go through the side, as it's an overpriced piece of plastic, or you can buy an aluminum one at http://performance-diesel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_6&products_id=35, though at that price, I can't say I would.

[​IMG]
    IMG_0278 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

If you're after performance, just get a Malone stage 2 tune and it'll be pretty much invisible apart from gaining about 45 hp. For $550, it's still the best bang for the buck out there.
  8. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Active Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Sorry. I need to lighten up sometimes. for the most part I was referring to the supposed CAI's that have a cone filter in the engine bay.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, the OEM intake with all the twists and turns does serve a purpose. If you go through a deep puddle were the possibility of ingesting water is very real, an OEM intake does a very good job of keeping water out of your induction path.

Most aftermarket intakes, to varying effect, compromise the cars ability to avoid ingesting water when you go through a deep puddle and with the extremely marginal performance gains an aftermarket intake offers on a TDI, they are not worth the added expense.
  9. QuitersLOSE14

QuitersLOSE14 New Member

Car:
    2010 Mk6 Golf TDi Shark Metallic Blue 2 Door
    Has anyone seen/heard of a ram-air box for these cars yet? This is what I would prefer to have the most out of anything.
  10. ToeBall

ToeBall Member

Car:
    2010 VW JSW
    Mods:
    See picture in post #4...
  11. whenpigsfly514

whenpigsfly514 New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2012
    With adding an exhaust or intake, does this void or do anything to the warranty?
  12. ToeBall

ToeBall Member

Car:
    2010 VW JSW
    Mods:
    Partially. If your car toasts the mass air flow sensor because you used an oiled filter type intake, that isn't covered. If your seat stops working after you installed a cat-back, that is covered.
  13. sledstorm1

sledstorm1 New Member

Car:
    Golf mk6 4dr tdi 6mt
    Good luck making your car sound like your truck. Why would you jeopardies your warranty just to make it sound cool. If you want to buy an old mk4 Jetta an tune away.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012