1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Code P0402: EGR excessive flow

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by vagrantviking, Dec 20, 2010.

1. vagrantviking

vagrantviking New Member

Car:
    Mk IV Jetta
    One day I will go for more than a week without the CEL coming on. :confused:

This time around I get the above code saying EGR excessive flow. Seems a bit odd as I would expect problems with the EGR valve to cause it not to open at all. Pulling off the hose and applying a vacuum it looks like the valve is working fine.

Next thing working back would be the N18 valve. I am tempted to just order one up and try it but would rather save the $75 if there is a way to test it first. Maybe swap with the N75?

Looking up general EGR problems I have seen it suggested that the problem is likely the PDFE sensor but I have not found any reference to it on this site. Would like to track it down and test it also before ordering any parts.

Anything else that I should be looking at?

Thanks for any insights.
    Viking
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Yes, start with the n75-n18 swap and see what happens. Maybe wiring? You said you pulled off the hose and it holds vac, next check the the vac lines themselves.