Clutch failure destroyed transmission housing

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by nj-tdi, Jun 21, 2016.

1. nj-tdi

nj-tdi New Member

Car:
    VW, Passat, 2013 TDI
    Bad news today with my '13 Passat TDI, manual. 92,500 mi. I noticed some transmission oil leaking when I was doing an oil change. Took it in to the dealer today anticipating a bad seal. When they got the transmission out it revealed the pressure plate on the clutch had one ear break off and extend out. The ear that bent away milled a ring into the alloy transmission housing, thus the leak. It was about a 0.25" groove. No noise, no change in feel with the clutch to give any warning. Now I'm looking at $5K+ for the new transmission not to mention a clutch. Anyone experience similar issues? The mechanic said he hadn't seen that before. I'm very sad to have this problem and expensive a failure at this mileage.

2. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Never heard of that before either. A more usual failure mode is when the Dual Mass Flywheel grenades and punches a hole int the transmission housing.

3. shaunb

shaunb New Member

Car:
    VW 2013 Passat TDI SE

4. shaunb

shaunb New Member

Car:
    VW 2013 Passat TDI SE
    Had exact same thing last week on my 13 Passat TDI SEat 107k! I even have a video of the inspection and it is definitely a mfg defect the way it was destroyed! VW and the dealer did nothing to help and said they had never seen it before, I find that hard to believe seeing your post. I frankly have had a few issues with this VW and can't wait for the buyback.

Zaviertdi likes this.
  5. Zaviertdi

Zaviertdi New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SEL TDI
    Happened to our 2012 @ 80-90000 on the hwy; the plates were shot then they found out the DEF system was shot too.
    The only option we had was to trade it with VW the 13th of Sep 2015 5 days before the dung hit the fan.

Personally, i suspect their failed "REFLASH" to cover their hides when they were under suspicion is the main cause; because ethe problem started after with our acceleration becoming weird.

6. jasonTDI

jasonTDI New Member

Car:
    12' Ram 2500 Cummins QC, LB, 4X4 Big Horn
    You guys had a failing DMF that cause the issue. If it comes out of balance the plate comes outward causing the PP to hit the transmission if everything is just right.

It gave you warning. That pulsing in the clutch pedal? That's a DMF failing. Seen it. Replaced it many, many, many times over the last 14 years.

And as far as the reflash, no, not the issue. They dialed the boost down to save turbos.

Magnus likes this.
  7. nj-tdi

nj-tdi New Member

Car:
    VW, Passat, 2013 TDI
    With mine there wasn't any pulsing in the clutch pedal. What's the average mileage interval you have changed yours over the years?

8. fredhaus

fredhaus Member

Car:
    golf tdi 2012
    first clutch/flywheel at 188k. now at 289k flywheel starting to make noise..just hope it makes it to buyback

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    2015 Prius Four, 2014 Corolla S, 2010 Prius II, Cimbria SS
    Mods:
    n/a
    Anytime a VW Dealership Mechanic says..."I haven't seen that before"...well, we've all heard that joke now. There's a reason this Mechanic no longer owns any VWs.