Clutch a bit rough. Normal?

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by RaymondT, Feb 13, 2012.

1. RaymondT

RaymondT New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    I've had many manual transmissions over the years. I was a bit surprised just how rough this clutch is on a new vehicle (4 weeks old). When we picked up the car, it was very smooth, but over the last few weeks, it's gotten much rougher. When it just starts engaging, the pulsations and audible noise are pretty annoying :annoyed:. As it warms up, it gets somewhat better.

I'm hoping it will "heal" itself as the it warms up into spring. Right now, it's pretty damp and the overnight temps are close to freezing so maybe that plays a part.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  3. golfTDI1

golfTDI1 Member

Car:
    2010 VW Golf TDI 6M 4dr
    Mods:
    see signature
    RaymondT, Not sure how many miles you have, but I would suggest taking a look in your brake fluid reservoir and adding DOT4 fluid. The clutch takes its fluid from there and as the brakes wear and the level drops below the outlet for the clutch and you can get air in there. Try topping it off to see if this is an issue for you. Mine was just below the outlet, but I wasn't having any clutch issues. I couldn't believe how much fluid it took, it was considerable, more than half the small brake fluid container. It may just be in my head, but my clutch did seem to be a little smoother after that.

Edit: I read your post again, and now see that your vehicle is 4 weeks old. My clutch since I bought the car has been smooth as silk. It was super easy to stall as well, but the operation of it is smooth. Your description of your clutch operation does not seem normal, especially the part about audible noises. I'd definitely make an appointment with your dealer ASAP on that one. If they try to deny there is a problem, I'd hammer them for a new car.
  4. speedracer1407

speedracer1407 Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    Before you head over to the dealer for a fix, can you describe the problem in a bit more detail? It MAY be normal if it's anything like the "roughness" I feel through the clutch, which I accept as normal for a diesel.

1. Where are you feeling this roughness? Is it a grittiness in the pedal action its self? Is it vibration felt through the pedal as you engage the clutch to start moving? Is it roughness that you feel throughout the whole car?

2. How bad is it? Would passengers notice if you didn't tell them?

3. What kind of noises are you hearing and from where?

I ask these questions only because I've noticed some subtle differences in this car compared to my previous gasser manuals.

I can feel a bit of engine vibration through the clutch pedal as the engine loads up at low RPM while engaging. I accept this as normal, as the diesel simply vibrates more under load at low RPM than most gas engines. It's gotten a bit smoother over time, but when brand new, a passenger once commented that it felt pretty rough as I negotiated a 5 point turn with some quick clutch work between 1st and reverse. It's also more noticeable when cold.

Accompanying the vibration felt through the pedal is usually a gritty engine note that's quite noticeable after a cold start in cold weather. However, I accept this as normal.
    If you're experiencing anything more than this, then yeah, you might have a problem.
  5. RaymondT

RaymondT New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI

I feel a pedal vibration as soon as the throwout bearing loads up when the pedal is between 1/3 and 1/2 way down to the floor. Can hear some slight noise at this time.

When I put it in gear and let out the clutch, the roughness turns to more noticable vibration as the clutch disc is clamped between the pressure plate and flywheel. At this time I hear the pulsation noise radiating from the engine compartment, plus feel the vibration through the steering wheel, seat, etc.

It's definitely not clutch chatter. It's as if I've got a few bent diaphram fingers. I believe some manufacturers have an SST (special service tool) for tweaking these fingers individually if some are not even with the others but it would be as much labour as replacing the clutch.

Seems a bit disappointing tho. Since it was smooth as glass when we picked up the car, I'm not sure what to think. Engagement and release seems to be slightly inconsistent as it seems tough to get the timing down when shifting. It's a subtle thing but I do notice it. Slight bit of gear clash but again, not enough to convince the dealer that anythings wrong. Short of a clutch exploding into pieces, it will be "no fault found" on the work order...
  6. Blueapple

Blueapple New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI 6M
    Had it gotten any better? I think I've got the same thing here. I didn't notice anything when I test drove it, except when up shifting, it felt a bit gritty, but that has since gotten much better. But the engagement, seems to send quite a bit of vibration through the pedal and some through the steering wheel and seat. After worrying about it for a while I went back to the dealer and test drove another new 6 speed MT. And it was SMOOTH! With 75 Miles on it, it felt so much smoother than mine.

I have had new clutches before that exibited similar symptoms, where it's smooth as hell when brand new, gets worse when it's a few weeks old, then slowly smoothed out. I hope this is the case.

But yeah, I do hear a rumbling noise from the engine, I don't think it's the clutch though, and from what I can find on the web, this is probably normal... I never had stalling problem, just roughness.
  7. RaymondT

RaymondT New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    It did smooth out after a month or so to the point where it's tolerable. Still pulsates a little but only as others have described.