"Check Keyless" on MFD

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by darribas, Apr 15, 2012.

1. darribas

darribas New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI/2012
    So my 3 month old Jetta's Kessy is not working.

I can't lock or unlock the doors from the door handles, but I can use the FOB to unlock the doors. When I press unlock on the FOB, the MFD displays "Check Keyless". Also, every now and then while I'm driving teh "check keyless" message is displayed.

Does anybody know what that message means? Or how I can get the Kessy to work again? I've tried synchronizing the keys but no luck there.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Is this a battery issue? KESSY uses the remote battery to work
  3. LargeCar

LargeCar New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    None so far
    Pop the cover off the drivers side handle (there is a slot on the under side that accepts the flip out key) insert the key in the lock and turn and hold it to the unlock position until the windows roll down, then turn the key to the locked position until the windows roll up, remove key and wait about a minute. The handles should work now.

LargeCar
  4. darribas

darribas New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI/2012
    I don't think it's a battery issue. Because the key fob works fine from far away. I tried the key lock trick, but I guess I didn't wait long enough. I'll try again but wait a minute this time.

Could it be a fuse? Does anyone know which fuse goes to the kessy?
  5. CWO4MKC

CWO4MKC New Member

Car:
    2011 Touareg Lux TDI
    I get this issue with the door handle touch pad on occasion and it is usually after I have washed the car. the KESSY is designed to shut down function to the door pads if there has been a unusual amount of activity in a small amount of time. I assume it is a security function to prevent how many attempts are made to gain access to the car and I have found it takes a few driving cycles or doing what largecar said to restore its function. The only way I have been able to prevent it is to keep the key in my pocket which leads to repeated horn honking as I was the car.....a real PITA.
    I have spoke to others regarding the no key on the MFD. My car seems to be VERY sensitive to where I place the keys in the car. If i throw them on the pass. seat and they move too far away from the shifter I get the message...same if i put them in the arm rest storage bin. I recently found the interior KESSY sensor when I was installing my LI laser jamming system. It is under the center console bin and I was able to see it when I removed one of the switch blanks near the start button to install the on/off switch. I would try placing the key fob in the center tray and see if the message goes away. Then experiment with ranges from that area and see if it is possible your car is like mine and the key needs to be close to the sensor. If it plain old wont go away then I would contact a dealer and have it figured out. the real puzzle is that if it truly had a "no key" issue then you would never get it started.
    FYI if you would like to see what the keylesss sensor looks like open your trunk and look on the overhead of your trunk...when you see it you will know it cause it looks like "a sensor" haha.
    IRT you fuse question. VW doesn't give you a fuse map with your book because of all the mid stream production run changes. The only way to get that info is to go to the service desk of a dealer and give your VIN and they will print you up a map....mine was about 12 pages but at least it is specific to my car and leaves me without questions.
    So a little much I suspect but hopefully it helps. Matt
  6. darribas

darribas New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI/2012
    Thanks, Matt.

I'll try putting the keys in the center console. I'm going to have to move my cell phone over, and make sure I don't forget the keys are there :) I did try to do what Largecar suggested but it still didn't work. Right now, it's more of an annoyance than anything. I'll mention it to the dealer at my three month checkup.
  7. CWO4MKC

CWO4MKC New Member

Car:
    2011 Touareg Lux TDI
    Not a problem. Found a neat cell phone holder for my bionic that is designed for a cupholder. Articulating universal type that drops in a cup slot...a few twists and it expands snug so it doesnt rattle. Got it on amazon and my charging cable reaches from the back seat jack and that freed up the fro t port for my radar detector.
    European cars have a weird lack of storage....just bumped into the post about the gti style under seat storage drawers.....ecs tuning has them....im all over that.
    Good luck with the issue. Matt
  8. LargeCar

LargeCar New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    None so far
    Just finished putting mine in, easy job. However the size of the drawer and the distance it come out is very small. I tried to put my .38 in the waist holster into the drawer and it does not fit, guess it will stay in the arm rest consol.

LC
  9. tdidood

tdidood New Member

Car:
    '99 NB, '11 Jetta
    2011 Jetta TDI, have had the "check keyless" display twice. Both times after a car wash, once by the dealer so I was able to show them before leaving the premises. They said they've heard of it but do not know what causes it. An hour or so after driving the car it disappeared both times. When it was happening shutting off the car, getting out, locking made no difference. It would not lock or open via the door handle but started normally. It would suggest something in the system is getting exposed to water from a commercial wash. Perhaps streams and pressure are forcing water into a sensitive place, it has never happened while driving in the rain. The dealer was supposed to get back to me with something from VW but never did, I don't think they know or if they do the solution isn't straight forward so they don't want to make it public. Its annoying but so far it has fixed itself, I assume once the insides of the doors dry out. If that's the fix I can live with it but think VW ought to tell us what the deal is.