Check engine light

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by Pete Geppert, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Pete Geppert

Pete Geppert New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI
    I only have 2500 miles on my 2012 passat and the yellow engine light came on.
    I will call the dealer in the morning
    This is a real let down.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Is it the yellow engine light or the DPF light Pete?

Obviously a trip to the dealer.
  3. Pete Geppert

Pete Geppert New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI
    No it was the engine light.
    There is no dpf light.
    Mine has a picture of what looks like a catalytic converter.
    The light was not on this morning so I went for a ride, and it did not come on.
  4. monstersinc1

monstersinc1 New Member

Car:
    2003 Chevy Trailblazer EXT 2WD 2008 Buick Enclave CXL AWD, 2012 Passat SEL Premium
    DPF Regen cycle. Its all explained here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/vw-touareg-tdi-dpf-audi-q7.htm
  5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    That is the DPF light just give it a blast up a freeway for 20 miles.
  6. Sergey2000m

Sergey2000m New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI
    Engine Light Come On at 2,200 miles

Hi,

I have a 2012 Passat TDI SE. The car has slightly more than 2,200 miles on it. A yellow engine light came on this morning (see the picture; it was about 12 degrees F and the car did not have any trouble starting). I tried shutting off the car and starting it again but the light did not go away. The light was still on after about 20 minutes of driving until I had to stop and leave the car for a few minutes. When I started it again 10 minutes later while thinking about going to the dealership, the light was no longer on; I never went to the dealership. I checked engine oil level at the end of the day and it looks normal.

Does anyone have any comments?

Attached Files:

7. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Read the owner's manual cover to cover, it has many tips on operating the car.

The light is the check engine light. Some issues will throw a check engine light that goes away after a certain number of engine starts. A code will still be stored though, have them check it out.
  8. Sergey2000m

Sergey2000m New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI
    RPMs Jump When Decelerating

I went to the dealership today. The code was related to some malfunction related to the transmission (DSG automatic transmission) but when they run the test required for this code, everything came out normal. I don't have the service description / receipt yet to provide more details.

I noticed that the RPMs abnormally jump higher than 2000 when the car is going downhill and you slowly start applying breaks to decelerate (i.e. when going downhill at 50 miles/hr and need to make a left turn, as you start applying breaks, the RPMs can go from 1500 to around 2200). On one occasion the RPMs jumped significantly, closer to 3000 (I suspect I was going faster than 50 mile/hr that time). I am wondering if this is normal for this car 2012 VW Passat SE 2.0 TDI automatic.
  9. skinnyb

skinnyb Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI DSG
    Mods:
    35% tint so far
    It is automatically downshifting for engine braking. Mine does it too. It does more aggressively the steeper the incline and the harder the braking force.
  10. Pete Geppert

Pete Geppert New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI
    I called the dealership and got someone that knew nothing. I asked if I needed to bring in the car so they could read the code and he told me if the light wasn't on they couldn't do anything.
    I knew then I was wasting my time. The car has 3100 miles on it now and I have not had any other problems and the engine light has not came on again.
  11. Eprater1

Eprater1 New Member

Car:
    2012 PASSAT TDI 2005 PSD 4x4 Crew
    i would be worried about the mechatronic in the transmission but this is soley on my experience with my 2012 jetta tdi w/dsg. it crapped out @ 800 miles. started with erratic shifting. i hope it was just a faulty code and best luck to you.
  12. Sergey2000m

Sergey2000m New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI
    Skinnyb - This 2.0 TDI is my first 4-cylinder car, all of my previous cars had 6-cylinder engines. I had never seen it in 6-cylinder cars. Thanks for the info, I am glad this downshifting is normal.

Eprater1 - I think that's the exact term that the dealer technician used "mechatronic" to describe what the code was related to. I hope it is just a faulty code. Strange, the light came on not when I was driving, it came on when I just started the car (to warm it up) on a really cold morning; the car was stationary at that moment and for at least the next 5 minutes.
  13. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    Not only is this normal, but it's a new feature of the DSG. In a nutshell, the new freewheel feature automatically enables when coasting, but disengages when brake applied. More details HERE (skip to post # 31)
  14. Sergey2000m

Sergey2000m New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI
    MyAvocation - thanks for the info....
  15. 69mach1377

69mach1377 Member

Car:
    2005 Passat 2.0 TDI/PD
    So you have to bounce from site to site to ***** about your previous misfortune, how sad.
    I thought the light described here is also normal, so just stop it already.
    offtopic2:ban
  16. Eprater1

Eprater1 New Member

Car:
    2012 PASSAT TDI 2005 PSD 4x4 Crew
    so how is talking about a transmission issue i had off topic when he is talking about erratic shifting and his own dealer mentioned the mechatronic??? maybe you would like to describe to be how i casued the mechatronic to fail b/c so far no one has been able to shed light on this other than a bs "RTFM" excuse. also how am i *****ing? simply stated my experience. give me a break.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  17. 69mach1377

69mach1377 Member

Car:
    2005 Passat 2.0 TDI/PD
    The OP described a check engine light that turned out to be a normal DPF regeneration indicator. This somehow morphed into a tranny thread, that's all. Not entirely your fault.
  18. allnamesused

allnamesused New Member

Car:
    octavia
    i would get it hooked up to a vcds,and get the codes
  19. Sergey2000m

Sergey2000m New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI
    Transmission Replacement

Unbelievable but my 2012 Passat TDI with less than 3,000 miles on it is at the dealership right now waiting for a new DSG automatic transmission to come in.

The car absolutely drives normal in the forward direction. When going in reverse though at about 5mph or more and apply breaks, there is an abnormal, prolonged noise coming from the engine / transmission area that seemed like metal hitting metal (hard mechanical grinding). The noise didn’t seem to appear when going in reverse too slow or when apply breaks very slowly.

I noticed the noise when I was backing up at the mall parking lot; I was able to repeat the noise home during the same day and at the dealership in the morning. Within 2 hours after I dropped the car off, I received a call from the dealership that they ordered a new transmission.

I got my service description for the Check Engine light that came on and went off at 2,200 miles. The service description says "Fault P1707 (interference in Mechatronic unit) stored in 02E gearbox electronics. GFF test plan to reset basic settings for transmission was performed. Vehicle operated as designed and faults did not reappear." I can’t understand what can go wrong with a brand new transmission with 3,000 miles of normal driving.
  20. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    Frustrating, but sounds like the dealership is doing the right thing. Keep us updated.