changing fuel filter 2011 A3 TDI

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by tanderegg, Feb 12, 2012.

1. tanderegg

tanderegg Member

Car:
    A3/ 2011
    I was searching to purchase a VCDS cable and found several on ebay for $39 to $79. Does anyone know if a person can buy just the cable alone then download the software and make it work? All I am trying to do is change the fuel filter without spending a lot on extra tools...
    login to remove this ad
  2. 3waygeek

3waygeek New Member

Car:
    2010 Audi A3 TDI
    The cheap eBay cables are probably knock-offs and may or may not work with the VCDS software; Ross-Tech won't give you any support if you're using a knock-off cable.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    VCDS freeware version will not work with a CAN BUS (2006+) car and if they do they're an illegal copy. The service manual says to run the pumps. I honestly don't know how much difference there is vs. filling the fuel filter to the top and I doubt dealers run the pumps. I'm not saying there isn't a difference, I just don't know if anyone quantitatively knows what it is.
  4. tanderegg

tanderegg Member

Car:
    A3/ 2011
    changing the fuel filter

Do you think its necessary to run the pumps after the filter change? Has anyone just filled the housing completely with diesel not run the pumps, then started the engine after tightening down the cap? I am thinking the vcds software may not be needed..
  5. darren

darren New Member

I can see that running the pumps will flush the air out but does it go back to the fuel tank or just pressurize the lines without getting the air out?
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. dweisel

dweisel Member

Car:
    09 tdi Jetta Sedan-09 tdi Jetta SW-03 tdi Beetle
    Mods:
    dweisel's stainless fuel sending rods
    The air will go back to the fuel tank via the return fuel line. I would suggest prefilling the fuel canister with clean fuel before running the priming with VCDS.