Caution, Idparts.com 15% restocking fee

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by Renegade 1 LI, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Renegade 1 LI

Renegade 1 LI New Member

Car:
    06 09 jetta tdi
    Just want to let people know that there is a 15% restocking charge at idparts.com. I have & will continue to buy from them, but moving foward I will make sure not to purchase something that might get returned. They did tell me if it was the wrong part I could return it for credit toward the correct one. I always like to make sure I have everything I need when I do a job figuring I can always return what I don't need, but at 15% restocking fee plus return shipping it is better to buy local. I am not knocking idparts, just letting people know the lesson I learned.
    login to remove this ad
  2. DAVE PARKER

DAVE PARKER New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
    Restocking fees, are common practice these days especially in the mail order market. Especially when you consider that ninety percent of the internet retailers DO NOT stock anything at all, but have it drop shipped from various suppliers and manufacturers.

Read the fine print. A lawyer once said to me "The big print giveth and the fine print taketh away."

cheers
    dave parker
  3. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Active Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    The concept of buying parts and supplies you don't need with the expectation of returning what you don't need is so Best Buy or Home Depot. In the end, the cost to the vendor for returns results in higher prices for everyone if the vendor doesn't charge a restocking fee.

I'm all for having people that incur the vendor extra cost pay that extra cost. if it's something you don't really need, don't order it. It's that simple.

So ya, it is a good lesson in purchasing responsibility................
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
  4. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Site Sponsor

Car:
    2014 Golf TDI Highline
    As another data point for this discussion it costs me 3% to take a customer's money and the same to give it back so there's 6% right there. It also costs to pay someone to check whether the item is resellable or damaged and you almost always have something that makes the item less than perfect if it has been returned by someone not in the shipping/packing profession. Returns are costly for vendors and so discouraging purchases with a high likelihood of return allows us to keep prices competitive. My restocking fee is 10% but I understand the 15%.

Jim
    dieselgeek.com