1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

catalytic converters

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by BlueMoose, Apr 29, 2012.

1. BlueMoose

BlueMoose New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta
    This must be such a dumb questions no one has bothered to spell it out but I like to be certain rather than assume I know the truth.

I have to replace my cat and before I order one I would like make sure I get one that will work as intended.

Are catalytic converters for gasoline engines the same as for diesel engines? All the parts stores I asked and the few mechanics as well just tell me they cant get the specific one for my car ordered and then cant tell me if a different one and some fabrication would still burn up the diesel exhaust fumes.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Very different from what I've seen, the gassers are full of precious metals. I took mine off, hollowed it out and welded a new peace of pipe in.
    If your one isn't clogged up then I'd just get some new pipe for it and get someone to weld it up, it'd be a lot cheaper than a new one.
  3. BlueMoose

BlueMoose New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta
    My catalytic converter cannot be salvaged, the exterior of the cat has a 2" hole in the side.