Car Running Rough!

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by jake1052, Apr 6, 2012.

1. jake1052

jake1052 New Member

Car:
    2003 tdi golf
    Well I've had my Golf Tdi 2003 for a while and noticed that after a few months that I was getting around 37 mile per gallon on average. I know I needed to do some minor maintenance check ups . I just recently changed the fuel filter a few days ago and decide to delete the screen in the air intake snorkel, check the egr valve, and check the air filter today. I noticed it was pretty dirty and when I removed the filter I left the vacuum lines attached and simply unplugged the maf sensor. Then I decide to check the pressure release valve in the fuel pump. While loosing the pressure release valve I notice some air in the clear tube connected to the fuel pump. I used a gator grip and noticed after the fact that what I thought was a sticky valve was myself creating score marks on the fuel pump due to tight clearance :eek: I'ts not extremely bad but I've read on how sensitive those fuel pumps can be. Well I tightened things up because the valve seemed good and now my car is running rough. I was thinking it could be because of the air in the line and drove it around for 20 minutes. Starts smooth then starts to idle real rough and when driving it seem to want to stay revved. It continued to run rough so oh course I was :mad: Im trying to determine what could be the issue if it just needs a simple bleed at the injectors or that its a more serious issue. I like to worry and over-analyze things by always assume the worst. I called it a night after I noticed it finally kicked out a cel code. Im thinking it could be six possible things. One a simple malfunction of the maf so tonight I pulled the maf out when the car was idling and it ran rougher (after the cel), two that it be an air leak at the score marks near the 2nd gasket down from the top of the fuel injector pump for a manual gold tdi ( doubtful marks on the aluminum not close to the seal), 3 simply air in the system, 4 i noticed a draft near the air filter when I reinstalled the old one because have not purchased a new one yet ( tomorrow)- Is the filter rubber seal suppose to be tuck in? , Seems like it 5. -vaccum lines have cracked near air filter or maf sensor 6. dirt got into the fuel injector pump from the pressure release valve, I noticed there was dirt underneath the bolt when I removed it. Tried to be careful as possible. Well first thing im doing in the morning is take it to get the code read of course but any suggestions would be great. Im hoping it just fuel in the line but it starts up:( Man this makes me scared to mess with Diesel but I got to say I love this car!
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Scored it inside? Exactly where?

Did you adjust the middle section, the quantity adjuster?

Prob not air in the lines because the pump is self bleeding and all air will come out after 20 minutes for sure unless you have a leak upstream.

Rubber air filter seal is half in half out to form a tight gasket seal.

5. definitely replace the vacuum lines.

6. Dirt is very bad, the internals have tiny holes.
  3. jake1052

jake1052 New Member

Car:
    2003 tdi golf
    yoyo

Thanks for the reply, the score marks are right next to the pressure release bolt. I notice that there is a second gasket sandwich below the wall next to the bolt but its not expose i just have minor scratches in the aluminum wall. I'm thinking that i possibly could have loosened the gasket but that's highly unlikely when i think about it. I'm thinking that I got dirt inside the fuel pump:eek The shop I called said that's what he thinks it is. When i was driving it last night it was acting like a runaway turbo. He said thats what a runaway pump can do. I got the code read today and it was a maf code, I deleted it then drove back to autozone in an hour and there was no readable codes. I might have pulled the maf off testing it causing the maf code, I was so out of it last night i can't remember. Now if the car self bleeds itself then its most likely dirt in the fuel injector pump. I might have made it run better today because I put a ish load of cleaner from power services. I pored it in the fuel filter and some in the tank. Now I noticed the Rpm's have dropped to 950 and the idle has improved from its hard roughness of 1100. It's still a little rough, but the car has improved drastically. Unless there is some air in the line still, its mostly likely dirt for sure. Thanks again for the reply chitty! I plan to take it to the shop on Monday or buy some fuel cleaner requiring a direct hook up to the pump. If not I guess ill have to buy a new fuel pump. At least it will give me a opportunity to do the timing belt and change the serp- oh yeah water pump and all the others too. :panic::panic: