1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

car cranks and is about to fire, but fails before or on 1000rpm

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by pulse24, Apr 10, 2012.

1. pulse24

pulse24 New Member

Car:
    tdi mk4
    fuel filter has been checked, air filter, timing belt is a year old. any suggestions?

cheers
    login to remove this ad
  2. Hoff6282

Hoff6282 Member

Car:
    2000 Volkswagen Golf TDI ALH
    Mods:
    Egr delete, lift kit, skid plate, pp520 nozzles
    I actually just purchased a 2000 Golf that had similar symptoms just a couple weeks ago. The gentleman I purchased it from had documents showing the timing belt was done at the VW dealer around a year prior, and upon a quick glance inside the timing belt case, the belt was intact, under tension, and the teeth looked good. However, upon closer inspection once I got it home and tried a new Relay 109, a fuel filter, and fuel pressure check to no avail, I discovered that the sprocket on the water pump had disconnected itself from its axis and was loosely spinning and flopping around when I cranked it. I guess it went to show me that just because the timing belt is rotating and the engine is cranking, something within the system of timing sprocketry can still cause your timing to be off and prevent start up. Just a thought based on my experience. Good luck with your vehicle!