Can't put fuel nozzle into the fuel tank.

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by hswan, Sep 30, 2012.

1. hswan

hswan New Member

Car:
    2013 passat tdi sel premium
    Just stopped for my third fuel stop, only have 1000 miles on my new 2013 SEL Prem., and there is this metal bar in the fueling tank that is stopping the diesel nozzle from going down so I can get some fuel. It wasn't there the first two fuel stops, and it won't move. What is going on? Tried locking/unlocking doors, no help. Anyone have this happen to them? Hope I have enough fuel to get to the dealer tomorrow.
    login to remove this ad
  2. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    2013's have a latch and the proper pump nozzle must be used. You can do a work around and spread the 2 release latches apart, but probably better to find the correct nozzle.
  3. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
    Where are you buying fuel? Lots of truck stop nozzles will NOT fit!
  4. hswan

hswan New Member

Car:
    2013 passat tdi sel premium
    Went to the local Valero, where I got diesel before. After reading some posts on another VW forum, I tried a different diesel pump at the SAME station. Lo and behold, it worked. Went over to the first pump I tried, and sure enough, while the nozzle was yellow, labeled diesel, and hooked up to the diesel line, it was a GAS nozzle--I compared the nozzles on that pump, diesel and gas were the same size.
    Guess the VW people were right, Americans are stoopid.
    Thanks for the info, all. If it happens again, will just try another pump.
  5. rmeredit

rmeredit New Member

Car:
    2013 VW Passat SEL TDI
    You can buy an adapter for less than 20 bucks in case you HAVE to buy fuel and the place only has the larger pump. I bought one a few weeks ago because we were going on vacation and I was uncertain as to availability of correct pump size on my trip but haven't needed it since. It took a while to figure out what stations in my area have compatible pumps. There is both a Shell and a Sunoco locally that I was unable to get fuel from, so am just avoiding them. BTW, I bought this http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2418
  6. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
    If any of you live near a Sam's Club that has a gas station, the diesel there is a few cents to $0.10/gallon less expensive than the regular stations.... of course, you have to be a Sam's member. Good time to join now as you get the sign-up cost back on a Sam's card...... As I am a 2 diesel vehicle family it pays for itself in no time anyway.
  7. TypeRod

TypeRod Member

Car:
    Hey rmeredit, are you using this adapter for a 2013 Passat TDI? just wondering if this will push open the two tabs in the filler neck? Thanks!
  8. Blue_Hen_TDI

Blue_Hen_TDI New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI DSG
    Time to add "ZOMG I can't get the nozzle in my 2013!" and "ZOMG is the AdBlue going to freeze?" to FAQ stickies. Those have seemed to be trending on the popular TDI forums lately. :p
  9. rmeredit

rmeredit New Member

Car:
    2013 VW Passat SEL TDI
    I just checked and it does. If your luck is like mine buy one and you will never need it. The directions state that with this adapter the pump may not automatically shut off and that you shouldn't fully open the pump because of the higher flow rate.
  10. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Can someone take a picture of the fuel tank filler with the cap removed so I can add to FAQ? Preferably with the flash on or in strong light so we can see the mechanism.

I'm wondering how robust this thing is...I liked the mk3-mk4 style where you could fit either the large or small diesel nozzles. mk5 and mk6 up to 2012 you could only fit the narrow nozzles. I only use narrow nozzles and am wondering how much thicker the nozzle has to be to make it work.
  11. TypeRod

TypeRod Member

Car:
    I think we have the same luck! lol! I may just buy one anyways. Thanks for the extra tip about the pump possibly not shutting off.

chitty, there was a pic in a thread on either this site, tdi club or vw vortex which is what you were looking for, but I can not remember the name of the thread. I'll do some searching and I'll post a link here.

update: found it chitty, it was at tdi club, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3917653&postcount=22 The two tabs/buttons that are mentioned are at the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  12. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Member

Car:
    IIRC these are only on the 2013 Passat tdi for now. Haven't heard of any others.