1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Can't open glove-box: Passat 01

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by odigolland, Nov 6, 2009.

1. odigolland

odigolland New Member

Somehow the internal latch broke and I cannot open the glove box of my Passat (Sedan 2001 1.8T). The handle is loose and still connected to the box.

I was told by a VW that I have to replace the whole box - $275 - and from what I see in the forum there is not need for that.
    Thanks!
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Moved to mk4 forum.

You could replace the whole box but it's possible to repair it if you're handy. Here are some tips and pics showing how the latch works: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a4/gloveboxrepair.htm It's for a Jetta/Golf but it's the same thing. By the time the TDI came to the US in 2004 they already changed the glove box design.
  3. Bropot

Bropot New Member

Why not just get a used one? Try to get the newer style. Be gentle with the handle, don't pull it open and closed since it can stress the dampener. Unfortunately this is a common problem.