Can you calibrate the fuel usage sensor?

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by New TDI, Aug 7, 2012.

1. New TDI

New TDI New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
    Hi, I'm new to this board...

Have a new TDI SEL Premium and have been closely tracking fuel usage and comparing to the MFI output of MPG. I find fairly consistently the MFI reads 5-7% higher MPG than hand calculated. I saw on some posts that the VCDS can be used to adjust the MFI numbers. Can someone explain what the VCDS is and how I can input some kind of factor that will bring my MFI reported MPG closer to reality?

Thanks in advance...
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  3. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
  4. New TDI

New TDI New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
    Dealer Adjustable??

OK, so thanks for the info on VCDS. Looks kinda expensive for a one-time use. I'd probably use it for other things also but not sure if I should invest in the tool. Does anyone have experience asking the dealership to do the adjustment? Is this something a good mechanic at the dealership should know how to do??

Thanks!
  5. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
  6. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    I believe one of the club members who works for Ross-Tech already tweaked his. It's a slightly different procedure than MKV models.
  7. wolfsburg_de

wolfsburg_de New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI 6MT
    Yep, I tweaked mine by 5% and although there's still some error (high and low) the average seems better:

Use VCDS to go into 17-Instruments->Adaptation->"Display correction of consumption and operating range", and put in a new value of 105% in my case. Test and Save.
  8. brent_strong

brent_strong New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SE
    105% seems like a good starting point. I did mine and it was closer...only have one tank through it though. Probably need another 2-3% adjustment.
  9. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    Just keep in mind it will never be consistent, unless every tank you drive is consistent. Getting within 1 MPG/tank variance is pretty good, ½ MPG/tank is great. My tank averages can vary as much as 1 MPG -- even from the same pump, but mostly due to commute differences (85% highway tanks vs. 99% highway).
  10. wolfsburg_de

wolfsburg_de New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI 6MT