1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Can you calibrate the fuel usage sensor?

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by New TDI, Aug 7, 2012.

1. New TDI

New TDI New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
    Hi, I'm new to this board...

Have a new TDI SEL Premium and have been closely tracking fuel usage and comparing to the MFI output of MPG. I find fairly consistently the MFI reads 5-7% higher MPG than hand calculated. I saw on some posts that the VCDS can be used to adjust the MFI numbers. Can someone explain what the VCDS is and how I can input some kind of factor that will bring my MFI reported MPG closer to reality?

Thanks in advance...
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  3. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
  4. New TDI

New TDI New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
    Dealer Adjustable??

OK, so thanks for the info on VCDS. Looks kinda expensive for a one-time use. I'd probably use it for other things also but not sure if I should invest in the tool. Does anyone have experience asking the dealership to do the adjustment? Is this something a good mechanic at the dealership should know how to do??

Thanks!
  5. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
  6. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    I believe one of the club members who works for Ross-Tech already tweaked his. It's a slightly different procedure than MKV models.
  7. wolfsburg_de

wolfsburg_de New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI 6MT
    Yep, I tweaked mine by 5% and although there's still some error (high and low) the average seems better:

Use VCDS to go into 17-Instruments->Adaptation->"Display correction of consumption and operating range", and put in a new value of 105% in my case. Test and Save.
  8. brent_strong

brent_strong New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SE
    105% seems like a good starting point. I did mine and it was closer...only have one tank through it though. Probably need another 2-3% adjustment.
  9. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    Just keep in mind it will never be consistent, unless every tank you drive is consistent. Getting within 1 MPG/tank variance is pretty good, ½ MPG/tank is great. My tank averages can vary as much as 1 MPG -- even from the same pump, but mostly due to commute differences (85% highway tanks vs. 99% highway).
  10. wolfsburg_de

wolfsburg_de New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI 6MT