Bypass oil filter

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Pete, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Pete

Pete New Member

Car:
    2005 VW Jetta TDI
    Would you install a bypass oil filter system in your TDI? What are pros and cons?
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I'm not sure I know what you mean Pete, why would you want to bypass the oil filter system? Its bad enough having the long service intervals 20k without reducing the engine life even more.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Some people do this to add an even smaller micron oil filter. Here is an example: http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=462

Pros: works.

Cons: costs money that you won't really get back.

If engines were having problems due to dirty oil I'd say it was an essential modification. While an advertised benefit is that the oil temperature will be more stable, it also takes longer to warm up the oil. Personally I'm not one of those people who worries about every little thing unless it will cause a big problem.

Risk/benefit.
  4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Providing you change the oil regularly you shouldn't need extra filtering.

I read many years ago (BBC's Tomorrows World) that they developed an oil filter that lasts the life of the engine it was something like a toilet roll. Then again they would sell many filters would they?