Bye bye, TDI. VW would not let me keep the RNS-510.

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by TDI Hoo, Feb 4, 2017.

1. TDI Hoo

TDI Hoo Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Turned in the 2010 Golf TDI today for the buyback. We purchased a 2017 Golf Wolfsburg in late December with a crazy good deal. Also, Dealer at that time said I could keep the RNS-510 from the TDI to put in my .:R32.

Today, VW rejected the TDI without a radio. It had to have something in the dash. Local Dealer had nothing to do with the decision. I spoke with the Regional manager who said it didn't have to work. Could be aftermarket. It's not that they would deduct some money from the buyback offer without a radio. They would not accept the car at all with a hole in the dash. No negotiation. So I gave 'em back the RNS-510. It was sitting in the garage waiting for a warm day to install in the .:R32.

Dealer said VW has become very strict with the buybacks. Someone tried to keep a headlight last week. That car was rejected. One without the rear seat 2 weeks ago: rejected.
    Your mileage my vary. It was a great nearly 7 years with the car and with this forum.

I have a Gorilla Mat and blocks for the hatch and the hatch storage tray if anyone wants them. Both are like new. I think $75 plus shipping is a reasonable place to start. PM me if you are interested. Both fit in MK5 and MK6 Golfs.

Enjoy your diesels. Miss ours already. (But the Wolfsburg is pretty sweet, too. So is my .:R32 even with the obsolete MFD2).

login to remove this ad
  2. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    It's up to whatever the court says. VW has little to no say. If your car could pass a state safety inspection (without radio) , then they have to accept it. Just put a piece of cardboard on it.

3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Ya,I would have kept the RNS 510 and put in a cheap radio from ebay just to put something there. Don't even need to have it working.

4. TDI Hoo

TDI Hoo Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Got the money wired from VW into our bank account today. Looks like Eurozonetuning.com for a used RNS-510. Or maybe I will just buy a Quarq power meter for my road bike. First tank of gas for the Wolfsburg was 35 mpg, mostly highway (Actual miles/fill up gallon). Not bad for a new engine. That 13.2 gallon tank is pretty small though.
    I just handed the dealer the RNS-510 from the garage. I bet someone at the dealer kept it or sold it. They have a bunch of buyback cars just sitting in the lot behind the service garage. Despite what I read here I don't think the Gen 1 engines will be fixable. Got our final diesel fuel tax rebate from the Commonwealth of Virginia today. The DMV pays back the road tax added for trucks. Just have to scan in your fuel receipts.

chittychittybangbang likes this.