VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Broken driver's side door wiring harness on 2006 Jetta

33K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  ackumar 
#1 ·
When I got the car the mirror turn signals were working but I just noticed that the driver's side wasn't working.

Upon further inspection, the door wiring harness was also broken. I also had this on the mk3 Passat TDI. Supposedly the early mk5 Jetta were bad but hopefully they improved this on later cars. The repair is to solder new wiring or replace the door wire harness.

Why they can't just use higher quality wiring for at least the door harness, I don't know. The insulation cracks and in bad cases, the wiring also breaks. It breaks because it bends back and forth when the door is moved. PITA. Pics and procedure to fix to come later.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Are both the drivers side and pass., side wiring harness the same, or is there a left and a right harness?? A new one for drivers side is $172.00 before taxes up here. The price has gone down from $220.00 so I was told. The rubber boot at the pillar, one of the clips that hold it connected to the pillar broke off. I hope one can just buy the rubber boot and I can change it if I get the wiring repaired ok. Will stop at the dealer on my way home today and find out. I will try in my case to take the drivers side door panel off as the wire is broken off too far in towards the door and try and repair first I hope and save 200 bucks. I looked at the other post for broken wires but wanted to know if the harness just plugs in pretty much as easy as on the door panel as it does into the door pillar? Thank-you and all have a great week-end eh.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
The drivers and pass., side are diff., wiring harness, so the dealer shows, is what I was asking before. They do sell just the boot as I got one and will have take the door skin off etc., to replace it. The boot cost just under $12.00 out the door for a new one. The hole in the boot end that is in the door is so small that the plug in the pillar I am sure will not go through it so with the door skin off I will cut the wires and feed the pillar plug and wires through it and crimp and solder them back together. I may use male, female spade connecters instead and wrap them real good to protect them from each other etc... Before I will repair any broken wires in the boot area as there is 2 broken now and any that look to be bad, or just repace them all with very flexable type wire and a bit longer at that. It is a lot of work for just the boot to be changed but like I said will repair and or replace all the wire that is in the boot area so I hope will not do it any more. One of the wires is showing an air bag light on my dash, I hope the small broken wire is it, and there is not one more problem to look into after I fix the pain in the __ door wiring.

#10 ·
Yeah, I had that problem in the middle of last winter. Power line broke off and I couldn't use any switches from driver's door, including fuel tank door release. Removed panels and soldered wires with help of Chity's post. Fun part was, I had to do that in my non-heated garage in sub zero temperature :nana2:

#11 ·
Thanks

:bowdownThanks to this thread, I was able to find what was causing my battery to go dead. Sure enough, one broken wire and several with the insulation cracked and touching which would not allow the car to go into sleep mode. Six hours and a few cents worth of wire and solder, I am back on the road. Thanks to all who post this type of info!!!

#13 ·
Drivers side door Harness

My drivers side window would not go up or down... and sometimes the remote lock/unlock not working (Not sure if this is fixed)... I took the door panel off and connector from door and body of car spliced a new piece of wire (red/yellow and Brown) that were broken.. seems to work ok now but not sure how long it will last. The wire that VW used is really bad.. when I put any heat on the wire to solder it the insulation just melted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.