broken belt tensioner

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by kmunroe, Dec 12, 2016.

1. kmunroe

kmunroe New Member

Car:
    2009 jetta tdi
    anyone know about how many miles i can go with no serpentine belt.. it's a 2009 jetta tdi.. just running off the battery? i have to drive it about 35 miles to the repair shop .. i'm wondering if i can make it just on the battery

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    login to remove this ad
  2. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    You could, but overheating your car (no water pump) and that would cost more than a tow!

3. kmunroe

kmunroe New Member

Car:
    2009 jetta tdi
    the water pump doesn't run off the belt on those ..

4. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Well without concerns of overheating, you can probably drive a few hundred miles on a well charged battery.

5. kmunroe

kmunroe New Member

Car:
    2009 jetta tdi
  6. leocat66

leocat66 Member

Car:
    V W, 2006 JETTA, TDI
    Did the tensioner just break or did is start making noise and if so what type of sound? Our '06 starts right up, runs normally for 30 seconds or so, then starts making a deep growling type, chuffing, breathing type noise similar to a worn bearing or bushing, but only at idle. It will stop the noise if the RPM is increased by only 50 or so revs and stays normal unless it is allowed to return to normal idle speed, at which time the noise returns. Once the engine temp reaches 150 or so the noise stops, and does not return unless the temp goes way down, say below 100, at which time it returns. Did you have these type noises before it gave up? When facing the engine the noise seems to be more to the right side near or below the tandem pump, and away from the tensioner, but noises can be difficult to trace. Tandem pump just replaced noise still there.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  7. kmunroe

kmunroe New Member

Car:
    2009 jetta tdi
    it broke... i pulled the pulley and part of the tensioner out with my fingers... and the spring and the rest of the tensioner remained bolted to the motor