Broken axle and the consequences of it.

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by chacaocop, Dec 17, 2017.

1. chacaocop

chacaocop Member

Car:
    Jetta/2000 (totalled by my son) Jetta/2006 (not letting my son drive this one) Jetta/2000 This will be my third TDI.
    Good day all:

On my 2000 ALH manual Jetta, the clutch stopped having grip, hence the car would no longer move at all.

I started the process of removing the transmission and when unscrewing the bolts that hold the axle, I found out that the left axle was completely worn out due to a broken seal which made the grease spill all over and left the inner part of the axle completely dry.

Even to remove the axle was a challenge since I could not stop it from spinning due to the free spinning axle.

I have not removed the transmission as of yet, but now I am wondering what are the consequences of having a broken axle. Will the inner differential spin freely, causing the car from stop moving?

I am now thinking that the clutch is fine and the problem was the axle

Can someone educate me about the subject?

Thanks.

2. Tom MacDonald

Tom MacDonald Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI Station Wagon (North American)
    Are you talking about the CV joint?

Sounds like you need a new complete front axle assembly if it's spinning freely while installed

3. chacaocop

chacaocop Member

Car:
    Jetta/2000 (totalled by my son) Jetta/2006 (not letting my son drive this one) Jetta/2000 This will be my third TDI.
    Thanks Tom.

Without a doubt I need a new CV Axle. But What I am wondering is, if one of my CV Axle's is completely useless and spinning freely, will the other axle provide motion to the car or if the power will be lost throught that spinning broken axle?

4. Dave N

Dave N Member

Car:
    06 Golf TDI BEW 09A
    It will be lost due to operation of the differential

chacaocop likes this.
  5. chacaocop

chacaocop Member

Car:
    Thank you!!!