BRM tdi oil catch can installation

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by skeezix, Sep 28, 2017.

1. skeezix

skeezix New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta BRM DSG
    I just cleaned my asv, egr valve, and I wanted to reduce the amount of oil into the intake to help keep it clean. It did have a minimum oil sludge (1/8" ) at opening of the intake.
    Parts needed:
    Ebay- aluminum oil catch can 0.5L 19mm / 3/4 barbs in and out, drain on bottom. On sale $18.95 shipped
    Lowes- 1" brass pex elbow- tight fit on 3/4 hose - $3
    Lowes- 3" u bolt - $3
    Autozone- 4' 3/4 heater hose - $6 - this will be upgraded to black braided hose.
    Laying around - hose clamps, 1" x 28" aluminum angle, bolts, nuts, washers, extra BRM valve cover to air cleaner tube and air cleaner drain tube.

I am going to document this in multiple posts, so be patient!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  2. skeezix

skeezix New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta BRM DSG
    The catch can is empty inside so I took a 2 1/4? holesaw to add a baffle.

Used a budweiser aluminum bottle -these are thick , not like a beer/soda can, punched large holes in bottom, smaller toward top, used stainless pot scubber inside for inlet side, made similar without scrubber for outlet side. Both fit nicely into can, no picture.

Filled center holesaw drill hole in cutout with jb weld, let cure.
    Then put a bead of jb weld around can and edge of holesaw cutout put upside down on piece of wax paper and let cure, then a coat on top to even it out.

Attached Files:

3. skeezix

skeezix New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta BRM DSG
    Made the mounting bracket to fit between the bolts of the engine cover brackets, used slightly longer bolt on right side - circled in red on picture. On left side used 1/2" longer to use a nut on the bolt - red arrow in picture not shown, this is lower down than on right side.

Made a bracket at a angled down to bolt hole in engine block -circled, temporarily used long bolt until I bought a short one.

Attached Files:

4. skeezix

skeezix New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta BRM DSG
    Cut rear of down bracket to clear glowplug harness. Bolted on bar from u-bolt , Used holesaw on top bracket to move can toward engine. Painted bracket.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  5. skeezix

skeezix New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta BRM DSG
    Used air cleaner drain from another BRM as the tube coming from valve cover to can. Used part of another vc to intake tube from output of can to intake tube. These tubes can be pivoted to find a good angle.
    With some trimming it looks like the engine cover might fit, just found a cover at a junkyard.

Attached Files:

6. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
  7. skeezix

skeezix New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta BRM DSG

Attached Files:

8. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    No. Actually "Methville" is about 20 miles north of us and is misnamed on the maps as Arlington. Were a Boeing bedroom community and Opiateville would be more appropriate because of our close proximity to Everett. Good catch on the vile part.........