Brm TDI hard start cold/hot

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Vdubin00, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Vdubin00

Vdubin00 New Member

Car:
    2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stage 1 chip
    Hey guys my brm won't start, new cam, new TB , new glow plug harness, new tandem pump, mechanical timing is within spec , I can't seem to get this to start ,, this happened before I did timing belt , replaced TB with no change , had cel for glow plug #3 check resistances in glow plugs all were fine , checked resistance in harness and had a short , replaced harness and checked resistance and harness is fine,, where do I go from here guys help would be greatly appreciated !! How would I go about check the lift pump ?

2. cohomology

cohomology New Member

Car:
    vw jetta tdi 2006
    Any codes?

3. leocat66

leocat66 Member

Car:
    V W, 2006 JETTA, TDI
    I see you do not have many replies. I have similar problem, but only on cold start. NO codes.

4. Vdubin00

Vdubin00 New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Stage 1 chip
    No, super discouraged, Volkswagen dealership has had it for 3 weeks with no update as to the problem!! I really wish someone would help! My torsion value is within spec, anyone else's input would be helpful, it almost feels like low compression but as per my test gauge it read 400 psi warm, dunno if that is too high for a car with 150k, might try to use a another gauge once started it drives fine but getting it started hot or cold takes a long time

5. leocat66

leocat66 Member

Car:
    V W, 2006 JETTA, TDI
    I too am having cold start issues. If I come up with a solution, I will certainly share it with you as it happens. I have avoided the dealer like the plague based on previous experience.

You will probably find this depressing, but here goes,

Had a 99 TDI, which they had for six weeks, and finally admitted they could not determine what was wrong. Car had no power. They replaced the computer, the injection pump and the turbo. Guessing at its finest. They even called in mechs, from another dealer. Fortunately it was under warranty. Took it to a small shop, and had it back in two days and it ran perfect. They found that some small flap was binding in the intake tube area somewhere around the air cleaner. Very reasonable repair, no parts needed.

I am still attempting to locate my Glow Plug Relay, which is not where the workshop manual indicates. Crazy stuff. At least mine starts when warm.

6. Vdubin00

Vdubin00 New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Stage 1 chip
    Yeah that is crazy!! The mk4 tdi's are bullet proof!! I'm baffled with my car.

7. Vdubin00

Vdubin00 New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Stage 1 chip
    And yes I had a glow plug code found out I had a short in my wire harness and I have since replaced it, I'm going to be checking valve lash here in the next few days, after I replaced the camshaft I wonder if something seattled a new lifter seating or something my fingers are crossed.

8. Vdubin00

Vdubin00 New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Stage 1 chip
    Also when I was daily driving this car it would idle really really rough with the A/C going, almost like no or low compression, however I know that's not the case cuz my compression is up around 380 psi also my car would hard start all of the time, in fact it would start better cold then hot, if it wasn't quite warmed all the way up needle between the operating temp mark and the cold mark it absolutely wouldnt start, I'd have to wait till I was colder, but still on cold starts it still took several minutes to get it to start. I'd almost have to quick turn the key to the start position but only for a split second, then all the way off, then I have the best luck starting it by doing that, but after so long of doing that it started taking longer and longer and longer after doing my little quick key turn, please help me guys, my situation is a little different from everyone who only has a hard start at the first start of the day.

9. Vwman2015

Vwman2015 Member

Car:
    Vw golf, mk5 2005 sdi, bkd engine
    Bad starter motor?

Check the rpm on vcds or similar device, if the rpm is below 200 then the starter maybe bad and not turning the engine fast enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Vdubin00

Vdubin00 New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Stage 1 chip
    Holy crap!! Ok I will do, do you know under which value I can find that for the starter motor rpm??

11. Vwman2015

Vwman2015 Member

Car:
    Vw golf, mk5 2005 sdi, bkd engine
  12. Vdubin00

Vdubin00 New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Stage 1 chip
    Ok so I got an update from my buddy who works at a dealership ,, my ECU supposedly was bad so I ordered a new one and she fires right up and idles just fine , but now she accelerates very very poorly and dumps black smoke , now we're figuring this out ,,

13. Vdubin00

Vdubin00 New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Stage 1 chip
    Ok so now I'm getting mad ,, I have the Jetta at home new I've installed a new ECU the car starts but it has very little to no throttle response, for several minutes , the RPMs are below 1000 while this is happening I don't notice any codes or smoke , and after about 10 to 15 minutes of no response it'll slowly start to respond until it revs and it won't rev like it used to ,, then once it's all warmed up if I turn it off , it won't start again !! I'm getting mad ,, is there really nobody here who has experienced this problem ?