BRM Rocker Arm Question

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Shunter7764, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Shunter7764

Shunter7764 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    I have my 06 Jetta tore down to R&R the cam. One of the injector lobes on the cam has a groove in it and it has caused a slight line on the roller. I'm pretty sure most folks are going to say replace it and I'm sure that the line on the roller will wear the new cam.

Does anyone have a good source for a new rocker? I don't need to replace both assembles do I? The other 3 rollers are fine.

Thanks
    Scott

Attached Files:

login to remove this ad
  2. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    I would ask User "Franko6" about it... not only is he one of the premier cylinder head experts, but he also sells parts of this nature. (He could also probably provide some helpful advice...)

Send him a P.M. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/members/franko6/

All the best,

Yuri
  3. KC_in_AL

KC_in_AL New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    Scott:

Welcome.. I am in Pelham and also have an '06.
    Do I assume correctly that yours is a 1.9?

I have not yet inspected my cam but have suspicions about it.
    What led you to replace it?
    (I'm expecting a replacement turbo in Monday for mine.)

If you should need it; I have one of Ross-Tech's VAG COM units.

Ken
  4. Shunter7764

Shunter7764 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    Thanks Yuri, I'll fire a message to Frank.

Ken,
    I do have the 1.9 BRM motor in mine. I was coming home from UAB and around mile post 228 on I65 I lost power and my Jetta was making a pretty good thumping noise. I thought I spun a bearing in the bottom end. I nursed it to exit 219 and towed it home from there. The thumping noise I heard was coming out the air intake and when I took the valve cover off I found that the #4 exhaust cam follower had a hole in it and it was no longer opening the valve. So at 155k miles I have it tore apart and about ready to put it back together. I'm probably going to replace that rocker arm because I really don't want to do this again any time soon.
    I also have VAGCOM and I have all the timing belt tools if you ever need to replace yours. I've done about 13 timing belt changes on the older ALH TDI motors and when I get mine back together I'll have 2 BRM belt changes under my belt.

Thanks
    Scott