brm race pipe?

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by tomkyma, Feb 19, 2012.

1. tomkyma

tomkyma New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    Hello all

I have an 06 Jetta with of course the 1.9l pd brm engine. I'm starting to do some minor performance mods including a "mufflerectomy" cat delete, egr and asv delete and as soon as my profit sharing comes in at the end of the month a custom ecm tune to take care of all of the cel's being thrown. My question is are there any race pipes available for the brm? I've searched for literally days online and found nothing. From what i can tell the egr to intake manifold bolt pattern looks the same as the alh engine so i was wondering if maybe that would bolt up? I know the egr and asv are different and i know the emmissions legalities and risk of removing the asv, i just want to know if anyone has any clue if the pipe would fit. I can always resort to a custom made piece but i really dont have the time to make one right now. Any help on this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    login to remove this ad
  2. jhs

jhs New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Because there is no such thing. In BRM you simply need an ECU tune (no wrench involved at all) which disables the EGR. For faster engine warm up Dynamic EGR Control is recommended. If your EGR cooler fails, there are block-off plates (cheap) otherwise there is no harm leaving it in place.

There is no mufflerectomy for these cars either. It's sort of done in factory.

ASV delete is, well, not a recommended mod. It will save you from engine runaway if turbo starts leaking oil in the intake.

If you are doing the EGR tune, do at the same time a stage 2 tune for increased power (all for say in the $400-$500 range).

I am not posting links to vendors to avoid advertising but a quick internet search will give you plenty of options.
  3. ez2xelr8

ez2xelr8 New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta
  4. jhs

jhs New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Oops! Nobody saw that, right?
    Please disregard it. I must have been thinking of ventectomy...
  5. jhs

jhs New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    This is the block off kit you need to get rid of your blown EGR cooler but as it says, you won't get away w/o a tune.

tomkyma was referring to a race pipe in order to ditch the EGR which is irrelevant. There is absolutely no need to physically remove it. The tune (which you will anyway need) will take care of by just disabling it.
  6. tomkyma

tomkyma New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    So I have successfully removed the egr system with some redneck engineering. I fabricated the block off plates myself from some 1/4" x 2" flat steel and a little time with the grinder. Also I did a straight pipe from the turbo back at the same time. The turbo response is WAY better now and you can hear it spinning at idle and spooling up as you give it the loud pedal. Overall not loud at all and after being raised on the farm the turbo whistle makes me think I've got a "real" diesel now. I have a couple cel's coming up when you start one is low egr flow one is for the 02 sensor failure which was my fault since I probably broke a wire getting the downpipe out. I know it wasn't "necessary" to block and I know that the asv is very important for safety which I am all about (I'm an electrician in a steel mill, kind of have to be) but the less restrictive the air path the better for performance so I'm still curious about fabbing myself up a racepipe in the future. I'm new to the tdi scene but I'm not to the performance scene. I'm coming to my jetta from a 12 second wrx doing that at 4500ft altitude on the stock turbo with just a performance intake and no exhaust restrictions period (yeah all 3 cats removed as well as emmissions junk) that made lots of Corvettes cry up here among others. Sorry for rambling I just think there has to be a way to do this safely and help with performance and economy. Thoughts?
  7. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I am not aware of any solutions to keep the air throttle plate function after removing the stock piece. You could ask your engine tuner but other than a switch from the ignition to your own custom air intake flap I don't know how to keep that function.

The injectors will shut off if you turn the key to OFF but that won't help if the engine is running away on flammable gas or engine oil.