BRM cam replacement procedure

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by shizzlemah, Aug 2, 2011.

1. shizzlemah

shizzlemah New Member

Car:
    04 P-wag
    Guys,
    I have been searching a bit - What's the general procedure to replace a worn camshaft in a BRM ?

Specifically, how does the camshaft come out of the head? Do the bearing caps unbolt and let the camshaft come straight up? I assume the lifters would pop right out too. Is there anything finicky about the injectors and their rocker arms?

I had the camshaft cover off my friend's BRM today and saw a bad lobe (and early silver lifters) but I neglected to pay attention to how it could be removed. Ideally with the head in place and engine still in the car :)

TIA!
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    If the bearing cams are removed the cam could come up but it won't because the end is slotted into the tandem pump and the camshaft pulley will catch on the head. You may be able to twist it around but the right way is to remove the cam pulley first and the best way is to use the advanced method in the FAQ article so that you don't have to remove the tandem pump (to avoid opening the fuel system). The lifters come right out.

The full article is here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/camshaft-inspection-replace-vw-tdi.htm
  3. shizzlemah

shizzlemah New Member

Car:
    04 P-wag
    Awesome! That is a huge help. Keeping the head on, and the tandem pump in place will be a huge win.

Using the advanced method, is it possible to remove the camshaft with the pulley in place, or is it absolutely mandatory that the pulley come off first ?

What is the rule of thumb on reusing timing belts? ~10k on this timing belt. Is it safe to reuse, or must it be replaced ?

Any recommended vendors for cam kit packages? (cam, bearings, bolts, lifters) ?
  4. hevster1

hevster1 New Member

Car:
    98 New Beetle TDI
    Mods:
    Alligator tune, PP 357 nozzles, SS 2.5 inch exhaus
    there are 2 procedures to do this. The standard procedure and the modified procedure which includes drilling of the cam caps and head. If you do the modified procedure it MAY help prevent this from ever happening again. Now a word of caution with either procedure. If you do not have the tools or are not familiar with these engines, I suggest you take it to someone who is. If you are going to do the drilling procedure and you are the least bit hesitant or unsure, take it to someone.

If you are going to do it yourself, I strongly suggest you purchase some assembly lube, ZDDP additive and 2 oil filters with some break in oil. Frank's tdi's in Missouri has a good kit as does Bora parts in Oregon. Frank modifies his bearings for more oiling in conjunction with the drilling procedure. Frank will supply the break in oil and assembly lube upon request. They are also available from Amsoil and Royal Purple. After the initial break in of 2500 rpm for 1/2 hour, change the oil and filter. I suggest you put more break in oil in with the ZDDP additive and drive 500 miles. At that point change it to a 5-40 505.01 oil such as Pentosin HP2 or Lubro-molly high tech diesel. Do not use a 5-30 oil in these ever. Drive 2500 miles and change it again. At this point you can go back to the 10k interval. Frank has a nice performance cam for these as well but it is meant to be used with other mods.
  5. shizzlemah

shizzlemah New Member

Car:
    04 P-wag
    Much appreciated.

I am a noob here but I have spent plenty of time wrenching on less annoying engines. Pretty familiar with the PD/BRM as I did the timing belt with no issues. Now that I see how the cam comes out (no need to pull the head, or engine!) it looks pretty straightforward. I have no reservations with doing the swap.

I've been using 5w40 505-01 religiously. Now you have me wondering, I thought the assembly lube that I typically use has ZDDP. I'll check and be sure to use some wen reassembling with the new cam and lifters.
  6. rwkx1

rwkx1 New Member

Car:
    jetta/2006
    going to give it a try today!!
  7. rwkx1

rwkx1 New Member

Car:
    jetta/2006
  8. ebockus

ebockus New Member

Car:
    jetta 2006.5 tdi special edition
    Mods:
    19" rims, upsolute tune, bora cam kit, vcds tweeks
    congrats on the cam swap, i am consider tempting mine. the timing belt looks like a pain. where did u buy your cam kit from? did u have all the special tools listed in the DIY?
  9. PounDDer

PounDDer New Member

Car:
    Jetta/2004 Jetta/2006
    I was just looking for a DIY on this!

my brothers 06 just started making the dreaded puttering sound
  10. torj

torj New Member

Car:
    VW Passat TDI 2002
    Hi
    I am new here, and have problems with worn camlobes on my AVF PD-engine. I wonder what torque to use when re-fitting the cam?
  11. 1999diesel

1999diesel New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta Mk5 BRM
    Mods:
    Stage II TDtuning tuner, Colt stage II cam, 18" GL
    Another BRM cam Failer

Hello,
    just found this place and see that I need to make a post so I can see the good information on here.
  12. c150rocks

c150rocks New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    Hi folks,

I recently purchased a 2006 Jetta TDI with the BRM engine. I'm almost certain my cam is gone as I have a ticking or clicking noise on acceleration as well as when I rev the engine. Brought into a dealer and they said cam, but didn't actually look at lobes. Maybe I haven't read enough here but I'm contemplating doing the procedure myself. My question is tooling. Do I need a lot of special tooling and if so is there any cost effective alternates rather than purchasing from VW? I have average mechanical skills and am not afraid of a good challenge. If you can offer some advice I'd appreicate it.