Breaking news, new NMS will still be 2012 VW Passat, TDI specs

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by chittychittybangbang, Jan 9, 2011.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I got this press email for release tomorrow - the NMS will still be called the Passat even though it's a different car than the European Passat. Why tomorrow? The new 2012 NMS is supposed to be relevealed tomorrow at the Detroit auto show.

EDIT: here is a direct link to the buying guide summary: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b7/2012-vw-passat-tdi-forum-buying-guide.htm

Here is the release:

login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Unless there's some blogger with press access posting on a Sunday night, consider these WORLD EXCLUSIVE pictures and details on the car. These were just released by VW, literally about 10 minutes ago for distribution tomorrow but I'm giving it to you today.

Below is the release and the thumbnails are the pictures.

Hold the mouse over the thumbnails to expand, you don't have to click every one

Attached Files:

3. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The Passat may still be built on a expanded Jetta chassis but from the pictures I can see some of the additional equipment you can get on the car from the factory vs. the Jetta

Still has the full screen MFD and full MFSW (mutifunction steering wheel) like the Golf and Sportwagen.
    Auto headlights, foglights, auto dimming rear view mirror.
    Still has option of RNS 510 GPS nav system, you can also equip the RNS 315 if you want.
    Dual zone auto climate control.
    Premium sound system - only the Golf has the option of Dynaudio, the Passat's premium sound system will be by Fender.

Some other things I was able to see in the pictures: start-stop button. Yes, it still has the ugly ignition switch blank off plate on the steering column that makes it look like there's something missing but the placement of the start-stop button looks OEM and much better than in the Jetta. Sorry Jetta fans, it's a nice feature but it is poorly placed in your cars especially since VW is known for interior design.

There's a cubby to the left of the steering wheel underneath the headlight switch.
    There is no fuel door release button or solenoid, it's the push-open type fuel door.
    The new 2012 VW Passat uses a manual parking brake lever, not an electronic parking brake.
    The press photos show a car with halogen headlamps and foglights.
    The press photos show a car with dual exhaust, exhaust pipes are on opposite sides, not grouped together. The engine isn't known so maybe the TDI may have dual exhaust that is grouped pipes.

The press release said the car will have remote start (probably optional or with a package or trim level) that can run up to 10 minutes.
    Analog clock in the dash.

Market launch is planned for Mid-August 2011.
    The TDI engine is expected to deliver 43 mpg highway. This is even better than the official Jetta/Golf/Sportwagen rating so I'm curious why. It's possible this is another "expected to deliver" but the official EPA rating is.... game.

Here are close up pictures of the previous press photos showing the detail on the headlights and taillights.

Attached Files:

4. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I have edited the name of the mk6 forum to now include the 2012 VW Passat TDI. This Passat will be the b7. Why not a separate forum? It'll most likely be built off a Jetta chassis (not necessarily the latest mk6 Jetta, maybe still the mk5 Jetta, I don't know yet), but it will use the same engine and systems. The forums are currently organized into generations and the Touareg/Q7 because they each generation is similar with the exception of the Touareg/Q7 which are totally different cars, engines, and systems.

As for the Passat wagon, there most likely will not be a VW Passat TDI wagon for 2012. This normally takes an extra year so expect a 2013 VW Passat wagon TDI with delivery in late 2012.

It looks like Autoblog does work on Sunday nights, I still beat them by over an hour :)

Here's a video of the 2012 Passat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjkVl-HHqr4
  5. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Made a list of differences between the European and North American spec cars. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/...12-vw-passat-us-vs-europe-euro-trim-car-5142/

They look similar but if you need proof that they aren't, the North American car is longer and wider. They aren't even the same size. The interior is basically a totally different car.

As an example, below are pictures comparing the European and NA spec interiors. The NA spec car is the white interior.

Below is another pic showing the differences, details in the other thread.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. green jelly bean

green jelly bean New Member

"20,000 dollar price range ". So is the price going to be $20,000 or $29,995 base price $40k well optioned? This is key.
  7. ClarkKent

ClarkKent New Member

Car:
    Audi Q7
    I have to say I like the rear end and the wheels of the European model a bit more than the US model, but it's still a nice looking car for the money. Oh yeah, and since this is my first post here, I'll make it my official "Hello" to all. welcometomyturbodies
  8. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Today is the Detroit Auto show so Autoblog has released pics now. Some things I can see off this spec 2012 VW Passat SE TDI:

leatherette seats. I can tell it's leatherette because of the way the surface is perforated. Leather may be optional on SEL.
    Power driver's and passenger seat - hooray! I hate manual seats. I can never get comfortable because tilt-height are controlled at the same time by the same lever. It doesn't look like there's memory function though.
    The instrument cluster dimmer is a button instead of a dial.
    SE does not have keyless access and start KESSY.
    SE does have dual zone climatronic climate control.

No 115V outlet in the rear of the center console or air vents.

Attached Files:

9. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    VW put out another release:

I think I may have a clue to why the 2012 VW Passat TDI has 43 mpg highway vs. the slightly lower Jetta-Golf-Sportwagen figures even though it's a bigger car. Urea injection. See this FAQ for more details: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/vw-touareg-tdi-dpf-audi-q7.htm it's for the Touareg-Q7 which up until now, were the only models to use Adblue fluid. Golf-Jetta-Sportwagen owners have complained of an occasional stuttering or hesitation. Many believe it to be related to the complex EGR and emissions system. The heavier Passat will put more load on the engine which requires Adblue fluid to clean the emissions. The bright side is that it eliminates much of the complexity of the non-ADblue system. There is no exhaust backpressure valve and no H2S filter. Instead, it uses an adblue injector with a NOx catalyst. However, the other baddie in performance-mpg, post injection combustion is still present because the VW Passat TDI DPF filter is still there. It's necessary for clean emissions so there's nothing you can do about that.

This note is also important: 2.0L TDI Clean Diesel, 43 mpg highway and 795 miles/tank sdf
    Figures are manufacturer estimates.

This is also a nice warranty:
    12-year/unlimited mileage limited warranty against corrosion perforation; 5-year/60,000-mile (whichever occurs first) powertrain limited warranty; 3-year/36,000-mile (whichever occurs first) New Vehicle Limited Warranty; 3-year/36,000-mile (whichever occurs first)

10. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    More on Fender's audio system for the 2012 VW Passat
  11. miker

miker New Member

Nice work. They should have just started with a new name. I still see lots of mk4 Passat on the roads but not many mk5. However, does this make it easier to import the Euro Passats into the US since they have the same name :)
  12. mar

mar New Member

Passat TDI Wagon

Hi Chitty:

Everything i have heard up to your review has said no Passat wagon. I think Road and Track had some spy pics of a wagon mule but then said it could be for europe. Since the europe spec wagon from the Paris show looks nothing like the US Passat I doubt that the mule was for europe particularly as it was photographed in the Arizona desert.

Its not that I do not believe you and I would be terribly excited if we get a tdi Passat wagon but I am skeptical from everything I have read. As you know BMW dropped its 5 series wagon as well as volvo with the V70 wagon and mercedes has no plans for an e class diesel so I simply ask you why do you think we will get a 2013 Passat wagon?

thanks for your hard work!
  13. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The wagon normally arrives 1 year after the sedan. So 2013 is the projected date. Every previous Passat had a wagon so I don't see why this one would be any different.

Something else I've noticed is that except for the different navigation system, a loaded 2012 VW Passat TDI will actually has slightly less equipment than a loaded 2005.5 VW Jetta TDI (was decontented after that). Some differences (2012 VW Passat TDI listed first)

power seats vs. power memory seats (which in the past has been linked to auto pass side mirror down when in reverse)
    no rear sun shade vs. manual rear sun shade
    has high bluetooth vs. no bluetooth
    "suitcase crusher" trunk hinges vs. articulated folding hinges

Both had auto headlights/rain sensor/climate control, an available nav system. One thing you can't see in the photos is if the new Passat has puddle lights - lights under the side view mirrors that point down, which the early Jetta did.
  14. Visha

Visha New Member

The side profile looks more like the B5 in terms of proportion of hood and the way it slopes down.
  15. Aseras

Aseras Member

Car:
    2010 Sportwagen TDI
    Now they just need the Passat WAGON TDI.
  16. Black TDI

Black TDI New Member

Car:
    Golf TDI 04
    New Passat

Will there be a cloth interior option instead of leatherette?
  17. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    For the US, no. The SEL will come with leather. For China, maybe but probably not since they will be very expensive for the local market. For Europe, not being sold in Europe.
  18. ZoomALH

ZoomALH New Member

+1 cloth seats. They breathe better than leatherette. And there's nothing more uncomfortable than sitting down on black leatherette on a hot sunny day.
  19. Nicholas Silitch

Nicholas Silitch New Member

Car:
    2003,2011 Jetta TDI
    New Car

I own a 2003 Jetta, and have just bought a second, a Jetta (or Golf )"Sportwagen" TDI. All this talk about the new Passat gets me thinking that maybe I should have delayed my purchase for another year. I like the extra rear legroom and wood trim. The 2011 is my fourth deisel VW starting with a Rabbit in the '70s. That got 56.7 MPG in 220, 000 miles. I've not been dissappointed with diesel VWs --the mileage has gone down, but performance up.
  20. miker

miker New Member

Resale is pretty good so if you have the cash, why live with buyer's remorse! It looks like the wagon may not show up though.