Borg Warner VS Garret 15

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by gottdi, Mar 31, 2012.

1. gottdi

gottdi New Member

Car:
    VW Beetle 01
    Borg Warner vs Garret 15. I am in need of a new turbo and wanted to know about the Borg Warner 15 vs the Garret VNT 15. I have an 01 TDI Beetle ALH with 205 injectors and Malory chip and a set of 764 power injectors ready to go. I heard that the Borg Warner can handle more boost than the Garret. Some will say to get the Garret 17 or 17/22 but because of the price the 17/22 it totally out of the question. I do have the G6 Flywheel/clutch upgrade. I also have a stealth pipe installed. My current turbo is totally dead and no longer working. It is seized up. Has a good 160,000 mile on the clock. I also need a fix for the glow plug idiot light issue but still want the glow plugs to work. Here in California I need those to be working because it needs smogged. Bummer.

Pete :)
    login to remove this ad
  2. gottdi

gottdi New Member

Car:
    VW Beetle 01
    No takers on this issue? I figured someone would have taken this and responded. Oh well. I guess I will then have to buy one, put one on and bump my boost and install my larger injectors and then give a response. Just to see what can be done without a VNT 17 upgrade. I guess its time to see what these babies can do.

3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Pretty much...used or VNT 17 is the usual upgrade for a dead turbo.
  4. gottdi

gottdi New Member

Car:
    VW Beetle 01
    Yeah kinda figured but I wanted to see if others have used the Borg Warner VNT15. I went ahead and purchased it and its on its way now. Just got word today that its on the FedEx Truck. Should see it by Wed. I actually really liked the performance even with the VNT 15 from Garrett but wanted to check this one out. The cost to upgrade is really not cost effective for me at this time so I opted for the new kid on the block. No need for any extra pipes or hoses or any thing like that. I did talk with Malone Tuning and they will provide me with an upgraded tune for $99 bucks and will bump my boost to match what the new VNT 15 can put out. I am well below those limits so a nice little boost and some larger injectors with a cleaner tune should do me nicely. I will report my findings.

Anyone with any tricks for fixing the Glow Plug issue these cars are plagued with would be great. Since smogging is a requirement in Calif now I can't have any idiot lights and frankly I'd love to rid my dash of any idiot lights because of the stupid GP issue. I have a few tips but want to compile a few others before I venture down that path AGAIN. UGG.

5. Golf03

Golf03 New Member

Car:
    Golf GL TDI 03
    Installed yet?????

Well, have you installed the BW 15 yet? Would like your feedback as I am considering this route also.