Blown Turbo

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by shortstop, Jun 15, 2016.

1. shortstop

shortstop New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    So I was driving normally yesterday when under acceleration I heard/felt a muffled pop in the engine.
    The car lost power and I coasted into a lot. Car started but engine would not rev above idle.
    Had it towed to a dealer and got the call this morning: Turbo was blown and they tell me I have to also replace the Diesel Particulate Filter along with the oil pump. Total charge about $4,800.00.
    Can anyone tell me if it's really necessary to replace the DPF? Also, I hear that next week, VW will announce plans regarding the fix.
    If a buyback is an option, would they buy the car back if it doesn't run, in it's current condition?
    The car has been good to me so I'm considering getting it fixed. I have 140K miles and actually do like it a lot.
    Any advice on the DPF would be appreciated.

Bill

login to remove this ad
  2. Peca

Peca Member

Car:
    Passat b5, 2000, 85 KW
    DPF must be replaced because a lot of oil from turbo clogged up a filter. But why the oil pump I don t know.

3. TDINorth

TDINorth Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI Highline 6M, 2014 Q5 TDI,
    It might just be my old truck driving days but ..... I always idle my turbo down for a couple of minutes before shutting off. Especially going into a gas station off the highway or cruising through mountains and wanting to stop in a parking lot. Wife does also with her Q5 diesel. I do know heat will kill anything mechanical and if a turbo is too hot at shutdown the oil will coke up and become gritty. Soon you will say bye bye to the turbo bearing.

4. Vwman2015

Vwman2015 Member

Car:
    Vw golf, mk5 2005 sdi, bkd engine
    Oil pump will only need replacing if the turbo exploded and parts got flushed around the oil galleries etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk