Blinker Setting

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by TMR, Jul 15, 2014.

1. TMR

TMR New Member

Car:
    2014 Jetta SportsWagen TDI
    I have a new 2014 Jetta Sportswagen TDI (Nav & sunroof, no mods). Since receiving the vehicle, there is a weird behavior with the blinker.

If one pulls (or pushes) the blinker wand until it latches, it can be cancelled by then pushing the wand back to the neutral position. If one only pulls (or pushes) the wand slightly , stopping before it latches but after the turn signal starts, the wand will spring back to the neutral position but the blinker will continue. It doesn't stop unless one turns the wheel significantly enough that the car thinks it has turned.

This may be the default behavior of the car; and therefore there is nothing "wrong". But this is very different than my previous experiences where the slight touch of the wand only results in a temporary, non-latched, behavior of the turn signal.

The dealer says that this behavior cannot be changed. However, a FAQ / How to on this website suggests that this setting can be changed. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/change-number-blinks-turn-signal-vw.htm.

So my questions are as follows:

1) Is this the actual default behavior?

2) Can this setting be changes (easily)?

3) Is using a Ross-Tech VCDS system the only way to change this?

4) Does anyone in the D.C. / Maryland / Virginia area have one that I can use in exchange for beer?

Thank you very much for your time, consideration, and help.
    Best regards,
    -TMR

2. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    What you are describing is normal; and is called "comfort turn signals". You can read more about it in your Owner's Manual, but basically when you press lightly on the turn signal and release it, it will blink 3 times for you automatically. This is to allow you to press and release for a lane change, for example; or press it fully until it latches for a true turn.

The 3 times is standard for all US cars; but can be programmed anywhere from 0-5; as well as made driver selectable in the MFD settings menu. It is changed via VCDS if you wish to; yes.

I happen to have VCDS; and I live in southern Maryland, and work in Rosslyn; so if you are nearby and need some work I'll be happy to help. ;)

TMR likes this.
  3. TMR

TMR New Member

Car:
    2014 Jetta SportsWagen TDI
    @DubFamily - Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Using the keywords "convenience" and"MFD" I was able to figure out that I can just turn off this setting altogether. So now when I depress the wand slightly, the turn signal blinks and then stops when I release the wand.

To turn off the convenience turn signals use the following steps:
    1) Scroll to the settings menu (while stopped).
    2) Lights and Vision
    3) Uncheck Conv. turn sig.

4. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Yep; exactly correct. I've done too much to my car with VCDS at this point, I never remember which ones were there already and which ones I changed :D

Either way; if you want to make any other vag com changes to your car just let me know.

5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    There is nothing in the UK MFD settings for the Comfort Turn Signals (Cycle). I changed mine with VCDS. My VCDS Tweaks

6. Paul Burgener

Paul Burgener New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta 2005
    Newport News and Arlington, Virginia, USA
  7. Mishaque

Mishaque New Member

Car:
    2006 vw jetta tdi
    Hi all. Can anyone of you please help me to turn on comfort turn signals. I did check the box in vcds settings but still cant see it in mfd. I have 06 jetta tdi.

8. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
    Look in your car's manual. It's pretty straight forward in the MFD.

9. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    In the newer 2010 cars, it's in the MFD. In the 05-06, it's not in the MFD. You can only turn it on/off in VCDS.

10. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
  11. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  12. Mishaque

Mishaque New Member

Car:
    2006 vw jetta tdi
    Thank you chitty and Mrblah i was able to get it done with vcds. You guys are more knowlegable then anyone i know and i do know lots of diesel gurus. I really appreciate your tech facts and your effort towards this site.

13. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
    I just googled "comfort blinker VCDS" .. ;)