Bad batch of crankshaft sprocket lock T10050

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by jcroft03, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jcroft03

jcroft03 New Member

Car:
    VW/Passat
    To start with World Impex admited to getting a bad batch of T10050 and I just got one; the mark is one gear off and to the right of the pin. What is interesting is both the pictures in the Balance shaft Installation instructions show the crankshaft sprocket lock T10050 one gear to the right of the pin, which conflicts with the timing belt instructions. The first picture is when we discovered it was not right:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2014
    login to remove this ad
  2. hagyjoe

hagyjoe New Member

Car:
    04 Passat GL TDI
    I saw the mark to the right of the hole on a chinese lock. The mark wasn't a large arrow like the one pictured, so that means there are more than one source of these miss marked tools.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Excellent find, I will add this information to the timing belt writeups for BEW and BHW engines! The BRM should only use T10100. FYi, the picture of the balance shaft install didnt' have the tool in all the way, I was trying to show the front seal bolts and didn't notice that the tool wasn't in correctly. The picture in the current writeup is correct. To avoid confusing people, I have removed it from your post.
  4. onakaw

onakaw New Member

Car:
    05 Passat TDI Wagon
    Thanks for the heads up, was getting ready to order one.
  5. boyko

boyko New Member

Car:
    2004 jetta tdi bew-pd
    can i still use it if i remark it?
  6. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I believe so, yes.

The difference between t10050 and t10100 is not only the arrow but t10050 is for round sprockets (BEW, BHW), t10100 is for oval sprockets (BRM).
  7. Harabeck

Harabeck New Member

Car:
    VW Passat 1.9 TDI
    Which of these(t10050 and t10100) works with AVF engine I want to buy one but I don't know which !
    Thanks and sorry for a blonde question!
  8. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Not a bad question but I don't know because the parts manual doesn't say.

According to google the AVF uses T10050. Your profile doesn't list what year your car is but that would be another clue. The earlier PD engines usually use t10050 instead of t10100.
  9. MacGuyVer

MacGuyVer New Member

Car:
    2004 VW JETTA WAGON
    HELLO ..shouldn't they have taken care of this by now?

I placed an order for one of these bad boys at the end of last month.. to my surprise WORLD IMPEX is still shipping out the bad batch tool:eek

I just got of the line with them and was told that NO ONE has a good version of this tool, not even VW :confused:

..anyway, I was told that I could easily use what I have, just make sure I use it correctly of course and I could call back Monday and perhaps they could grind off the incorrect arrow on one of the other defective units they have in stock and exchange it with the tool that was sent out to me.

..wow, now that's service :laugh:
  10. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I bought two this year and they were both correct.
  11. MacGuyVer

MacGuyVer New Member

Car:
    2004 VW JETTA WAGON

:dunno ..wonder why I got the run around? ..one would think that WorldImpex would not want the potential liability on their hands if someone used this tool and it caused engine damage.. what gives here?

They obviously know that the product on the shelf has a defect, yet they ship it out with out so much as an advisory note to accompany the tool to avoid potential catastrophe.

I assume that the tool with bad makings can be used successfully this time around, but let's say it's a year or two before I use this tool again forget where the true indicator should be.. am I wrong to want an exchange for a NEW, not a grinder modified piece or even a refund?

P.S.
    A BIG THANK YOU goes out to you chittychittybangbang for alerting me to this potential hazard in his BEW Timing Belt How To :bowdown
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
  12. audiphile

audiphile New Member

Car:
    Various TDI's
    I got a different problem... the tooth size on the tool differs from the tooth size on the sprocket/crank pulley.....

The tool is genuine, and the sprocket is the correct part number. What gives??

Check it out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    You're doing it wrong ;)

As noted in the timing belt DIY articles, you have to slide it forward onto the crankshaft sprocket. You cannot push it down because the teeth interlock. Please leave this pics because someone else may have the same problem and your post can help them!
  14. yanceysvw

yanceysvw New Member

Car:
    1982 vw truck
    I am confused, what is the difference between round sprockets and oval sprockets? and maybe when they changed, and why?
  15. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The mk5 PD use t10100, mk4 PD and CRD so far use t10050. Supposedly the spacing is to be timed with the engine pulses.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
  16. yanceysvw

yanceysvw New Member

Car:
    1982 vw truck
    what does "timed with engine pulses mean" and is the crank gear really oval shaped? or is it the teeth that are oval shaped?

yancey
  17. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    To be honest, I'm not sure, just remember reading oval sprocket somewhere, it may refer to the spacing of the teeth, or a tiny change in the actual sprocket shape, or that the teeth spacing makes it slightly oval vs. evenly spaced teeth which would make it round. In any case, T10050 and T10100 are different and watch out for the bad T10050s out there.

All I can find right now is this from VW's study materials and service manual:

High pump forces are required to generate an injection pressure of up to 2000 bar. These forces subject the components of the toothed belt drive to high loads.

Some of the teeth on the crankshaft timing belt gear have a larger gap clearance in order to reduce toothed belt wear.

To relieve the load on the toothed belt during the injection cycle, the toothed belt of the crankshaft has two pairs of teeth which have a larger gap clearance than the other teeth.

This is how it works:
    During the injection cycle, the high pumping forces exert a heavy load on the toothed belt. The camshaft gear is slowed down by the pumping forces. At the same time, the combustion process which now begins speeds up the crankshaft timing belt gear. The toothed belt is stretched and the pitch is temporarily increased as a result.

On account of the firing order, this process occurs periodically. As a result, the same teeth on the timing belt gear are in mesh every time. The teeth have a larger gap clearance at these points in order to compensate for the change in tooth pitch and thus reduce toothed belt wear.

On a crankshaft timing belt with a uniform tooth gap clearance, the teeth of the toothed belt abut (not a typo that's what is typed in the guide don't know what "abut" means) against the tooth edges of the timing belt gear when the toothed belt is placed under heavy strain by high pumping forces. The upshot of this is that the toothed belt wears quickly and has a short service life.