B5 Passat key problems

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Mr Max, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Mr Max

Mr Max New Member

Car:
    B5 Passat
    Hi , I am from Barbados and drive the euro spec B5 Passat but I am hoping I can get some help. My remote key fob is not working as it should. it no longer locks the doors remote only manually and then it only works locks all doors from the front passenger door. It will only lock the drivers door and not the other doors.

it just stopped working one day and I can't say I did or noticed anything that caused it to suddenly stopped working remotely but I have noticed the following problems for some time.
    1.Front passenger lock unlocks when the car is being driven. For clarification, once you start driving and reach a certain speed the doors automatically lock. However the front passenger locks then immediately unlocks. I thought the locking mechanism was faulty so i replaced it with a new one but the problem persists. This problem occured prior to the key fob not working remotely so it may or may not be related. I had the car Vag Com but it did not pick up a fault code related to the mechanism.

2.Front passenger lock unlocks when manually locked from the driver side controls. So even if the car is not moving or engine off, if I press the lock button on the driver side control it immediately unlocks again while all other doors remain locked. If I manually push the door lock down when the car is stationary it stays locked until the car reaches the speed to engage the automatic locking.

3. i have noticed the driver door handle has to be pulled twice each time to open the door whether it is the external handle or the internal handle. It always has to be pulled twice.This problem is probably related to the key fob problem as I think I started to notice the two handle pulls around the same time the fob stopped working remotely.
    4. I have tried Changing the CC module as I realized the car was taking in water but this has not changed any of the above.

Grateful for any suggestions to the above problems

Mr Max
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

It may sound like a silly question but have you replaced the battery in the key fob?

Car: B5 Passat

Please add the year to your car spec?
  3. Mr Max

Mr Max New Member

Car:
    B5 Passat
    Its a 2001 B5 passat
  4. dsaund99

dsaund99 New Member

Car:
    2000 Beetle TDI
    Do a cap discharge and problem will likely be solved. (remove battery cables and touch them together for a few seconds)