VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Auto dimming drivers side mirror??

10K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  danbl68 
#1 ·
Owners manual says that the drivers side mirror auto dims the same as the rearview mirror. Mine doesn't, even after being replaced due to it not heating. Just wondering if this actually works for anyone or if it's just another "oops" in the owners manual.

#2 ·
The consensus is the manual is incorrect. Not yet sure this is related to lack of hardware, coding or both. Anyone not satisfied with that statement will need to remove one of the mirrors and look for the presence of a light sensor. It's unknown whether the dimming circuit is integral to each mirror, or centralized on a control module.

#4 ·
I am going to have to interject here, mine actually works. I have the TDI SEL Premium...make a difference? But I have not done anything to the car of course related to the mirrors, and I indeed have auto dimming in the side and rear views......:dunno
I also have the TDI SEL Premium. Sounds like another visit with my dealer is in order. Thanks

#5 ·
I too have a 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium, and never really saw the side view mirrors dim at all when there were lights shining from behind. The rear-view mirror inside does it, and I definitely noticed that, but never saw it work on the side-view mirrors. Is there a way to check and see if it works? Does anyone know where the sensor is for that, so that I can shine a light on it to see if it will dim

Thanks!
~Kyosho

#6 ·
It's my understanding that it works in conjunction with the rear view mirror so guessing it works off the same sensor. I can get the rear view to dim shinning a light on it but nothing I do makes the drivers side mirror dim. It's a very nice feature that apparently was supposed to be on the car since it's in the owners manual but now I'm thinking it just fell victim of cutbacks. What a shame....

#13 ·
I am going to have to interject here, mine actually works. I have the TDI SEL Premium...make a difference? But I have not done anything to the car of course related to the mirrors, and I indeed have auto dimming in the side and rear views......:dunno
Spoke to my dealer and they say that the car isn't supposed to come equipped with dimming side mirror. I looked on line at the specs and I didn't see any of the trim levels indicating the side mirrors would dim but I do remember reading it in my owners manual. The service manager had no explanation for why it is in the owners manual. Best he could come up with is that it may go on future models or be a rolling change at some point.

Don't mean to be rude but are you sure your mirror is dimming? Anybody else been able to confirm their side mirror dims?

#14 ·
Hi. First post from a frequent lurker :)

Ask A VW Sales Guy recently posted that there was a rolling change on the side mirrors.

VW Has done a minor change to the rear view mirrors of the Passat. Now the Passat gets the same mirror design as the Jetta and Beetle as opposed to the ones in the CC and GTI. The change happen sometime in late March to early April production.
This may be the difference since I'd assume the CC has dimming side mirrors while the "normal" Jetta may not.

My Passat was delivered the 3rd week of April so it has the new/Jetta-spec mirrors and no dimming.

#15 ·
Hey guys sorry it took so long to respond, I was away...I am actually a bit embarrassed to my previous post, my mirrors are in fact not dimming...after driving them again last night i had noticed something interesting, since my windows are tinted, they are giving me that "dimmed" look, but I guess it was dumb of me to not roll down the window and actually look at them that way. So I apologize for that post, but the mirrors do not in fact dim automatically. I wish they did, but I guess one way to give the effect would be to get the windows tinted.

#16 ·
Hi. First post from a frequent lurker :)

Ask A VW Sales Guy recently posted that there was a rolling change on the side mirrors.

This may be the difference since I'd assume the CC has dimming side mirrors while the "normal" Jetta may not.

My Passat was delivered the 3rd week of April so it has the new/Jetta-spec mirrors and no dimming.
My car was built in December 2011 so I don't know if I buy VW Sales Guy's answer. The dealer did say that the CC and I think the Touareg are the only vehicles with the dimming side mirror.

Dambl68: Thanks for the response. My windows are tinted and it certainly helps, but it is a bit of a shame they didn't put a dimming function on the side mirror.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.