Anyone have a good tire recommendation?

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by Pig Man, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Pig Man

Pig Man Member

Car:
    2012 JSW TDI 6 speed manual
    I have a 2012 TDI Wagon with 46K miles so time to finally look into tires. Does anyone have a recommendation for tires that perform well and won't break the bank? I am thinking bout doing the tirerack.com or some other on-line thing for the first time too and have a local guy install them. Any advice there would be welcome too. Thanks!

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    2015 Prius Four, 2014 Corolla S, 2010 Prius II, Cimbria SS
    Mods:
    n/a
    Michelin Defenders if they make them in your size..

3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    This varies greatly depending on what you want.

Do you drive aggressively? Do you want a smooth quiet ride? Do you want max mpg but are willing to accept lower handling limits and more noise/roughness? All of these are contrary goals. Tirerack has surveys which show some of these traits but don't forget the local tire guys will often match online pricing after shipping.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  4. rhino1829

rhino1829 Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    As mentioned above, really depends on what you're looking for with the tire. I went with the Perelli Cintirato P7 all season. Not sure what size wheels you have...not too familiar with the JSW, I have a Golf. So 225-45-17 is standard.

Based on the research I had done for a good all around 'all season' tire, Perelli and Michelin were at the top of the list. Just happened that the Perelli was a bit less expensive for similar, if not the same results in the many reviews I scoured. Not to mention the local guy I have gotten tires from for years was a bunch cheaper than the online places like tire rack.

IMO, it's a great tire...much better than the Continentals that came on it from new. But you'll find a lot of opinions out there. All really comes down to your preferences and the desired results you want to achieve with a set of new tires.

5. TDI Hoo

TDI Hoo Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Got 50K miles out the original Contiproconatacts. Replaced them with Michelin MXM4 low rolling resistance tires and already have 60K miles on them with about 5k more (safe) to go. Very satisfied with longevity, snow prowess, wet weather grip, but no quieter than the Contis. Was lucky to get them on a rare buy 2 get 2 free from Merchant's (NTB).

6. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    How is the noise, mpg, and handling on the MXM4 now that they're worn? I'm considering either the MXM4 or Pilot Sport A/S 3. Since I have a winter set I'd prefer to get a summer tire but the MXM4 looks good and the PS A/S 3 is an all new design. The PS plus (2nd gen of their pilot sport all season) wasn't too well reviewed but this tire looks like an all season version of the super sport which is an excellent street tire.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  7. mrlinch

mrlinch Member

Car:
    2010 VW Golf TDI
    My original tires lasted around 60k. Probably could have gone another 5-10k if I wanted to slow down... I went with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS). Local tire shop, Bob Sumerel, recommended them and then when I went in for my last free maintenance at the dealer, the maintenance manager said some people really liked them.

I honestly haven't noticed a huge difference in handling, road noise or mpg with these. Maybe slightly better than before? But can't tell if it's just new tires too vs worn ones.

8. TDI Hoo

TDI Hoo Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI
    They are no louder now than when new, and that says something about the engineering of the tread. They have worn extremely evenly, and the handling is what you would expect from an A/S tire. I am sure the A/S 3 has better dry handling. I don't know about the snow. We had a whopping 2 inches of snow last week on the road, the MXM4, even after 60K miles were fine. Still getting 38-40 mpg around town, 42-44 mpg on the highway. The A/S 3 actually has 0.5/32 more tread depth than the MXM4. A/S 3 is also less expensive. My only concern is snow handling. MXM4 is fine for the driving wife and I do. Now, I will get A/S 3s for my .:R32!

9. Blair Elzenbeck

Blair Elzenbeck New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta sportwagon2010 TDI
    Mods:
    Diesel Power power programer,AFE air intake,Conti winter snows on Borbet 16" whls.
    I personally love Conti Extreme Winter .Im on my second set at 104,000 miles and i commute from NJ to RI weekly.Buy 4.
    I mounted mine on a nice set of Borbet alloys w/ tpsm from Tirerack. Awesome in snow/wet,anything below 40 degs.get narrower 16"tires if u run 17" all seasons.

10. Gamepro86x

Gamepro86x Member

Car:
    2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ Pano and Nav
    Also wouldn't hurt to check places like Costco. On the Scion I ended up just getting new tires at the dealer cost me over $700 for tires and install. I could have gotten better tires at Costco installed for around $550-600 Michelin's with a 60k tread warranty vice the it may last you 36k type tires... I bit the bullet and did it, because dealer pointed out you could see the core on one of the tires rubber was splitting very not safe (although Costco wasn't far down the road had I known at the time). Plus free nitrious, warranty included, lifetime rotate and balance. The tire guy told me Costco just about breaks even selling them (looking at just the tire department cost vs income), they mainly do it since people walk around inside and spend more while waiting on their car and it's an added benefit to membership.

As a reference note my scion has low profile tires... so it sucks finding good tires at a decent price - even the no tread warranty ones run over $100/tire. :(

Edit: the MXM4's run $649.96 for 4 at Costco is that good? (plus $60 fee for install/disposal)http://tires2.costco.com/product.aspx?ItemNo=274976&SearchID=942636a2-d05d-4f25-a31f-057a31b660ba

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  11. 2011GolfTDI

2011GolfTDI Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI DSG
    Just over a year ago, I paid $764 installed for my MXM4s at Costco and that included the $70 Michelin coupon.

12. Dan Ortego

Dan Ortego New Member

Car:
    2013, Bug TDi w/DSG
    Mods:
    18" Astro Wheels
    Here's another vote for the Perelli Cintirato P7's and I noticed they now offer the 'Plus' version (whatever that means). I've had P7's on my 2007 Passat and at the time I thought they were some low-rent OEM junk so I swapped them out for Michelin PS'2 which were great for about 10k and that was it. I then tried the Pilot Super Sport which were even worst in terms of balancing, noise and trend life. Currently, I'm running ContiProContacts but I'll be going back to the P7's later in the year. They provide a nice comfortable ride, lower noise and hold a balance pretty well. They also have a somewhat wide shoulder that makes them look beefy vs. the worn-out look (rounded shoulder) of many performance tires.

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    2015 Prius Four, 2014 Corolla S, 2010 Prius II, Cimbria SS
    Mods:
    n/a
    Think we lost the OP.

14. Theomarakas

Theomarakas Member

Car:
    '13 Jetta Sportwagen TDI '15 Tiguan
    Mods:
    Too many too list
    I love the Continental DWS summer. They stick to the ground very well, excellent rain tire, they perform reasonably well on snow and they are ok with noise. Comfort is excellent, Continental tire side walls are softer providing better comfort. However, tire pressure cannot be neglected or sidewall blisters are easy to get especially in the north east that roads are real shitty.
    Price? on sale for $115 per tire for 17" wheels. Longevity? don't know yet I only have 10k miles but treadler is almost 500 therefore 40k miles should be realistic.
    Overall, I'm extremely happy with them, considering the performance and price. Michelin are known to be fairly quiet but they want crazy money for them.