Another thread about Monsoon sound system probs

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Oil Smoker, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Oil Smoker

Oil Smoker New Member

Car:
    2005 VW Passat GLS TDI
    Since I got my brother his 2005 Passat TDI about 2 years ago the rear speakers have never worked. I recently did a bunch of searching that narrowed the problem down to a bad amp or loose connectors; checking the connectors (at the doors and at the amp itself) did nothing so I'm thinking there's something wrong with the amp? Oddly I noticed there is a very faint sound coming from the rear tweeters but nothing from the actual door speakers. It's the factory Monsoon system, I've read how it's a pretty "proprietary" system and difficult to modify with aftermarket parts; I'm not looking to upgrade the sound at least for now, I just want the rear speakers working again. I found lots of replacement amps on eBay but I'm leary to spend money on another factory unit just to have it fail like this one did (?). Is there a fix for this aside from ripping out the stock head unit and amp and putting in a custom system?

2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Have you checked the resistance of the speakers, these can be 2, 4 or 8 ohms, compare that with one that is working..

Do you have access to VAG-COM\VCDS to scan for any fault codes? There are 40 codes in my app which basically checks the wiring and do an output test.

This guy doesn't test it properly. When you use a multimeter to check for resistance you always disconnect the battery because if there is voltage that will blow the meter. The other thing is he had his fingers touching that will measure the resistance of his body.

3. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    So how could he get current through his meter if the speakers are disconnected from the amp? The human body has a resistance of +10 million ohms. The added resistance for all practical purposes is irrelevant. Instead of 1 ohm for just the speakers, measured resistance if you could measure to 7 decimal points would be something like .9999999...... ohm with the added conductance of the human body.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  4. gt4494

gt4494 Active Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    I think it is more of a continuity check for the speaker coils. just guessing.

My 2005 NB loses the left front dash speaker every now and again but whenever I think it needs to be looked at it starts working again so.... :)

5. Oil Smoker

Oil Smoker New Member

Car:
    2005 VW Passat GLS TDI
    Hey guys thanks for the input. I just went out now and scanned the Radio group with my VCDS, no trouble codes came up and output for the rear speakers read out as OK even though when I did a manual output test they were clearly still not working. It also said the amp checks out OK but I'm not really convinced because I removed the CD changer from the trunk and it says that's still working OK too... lol

I guess I'll just get in the doors and check the speakers themselves at this point with my multimeter.