1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Alternator clutch / tensioner noise

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by Johnno, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Johnno

Johnno New Member

Car:
    Vw Golf 2002
    Hey guys, yet another question.

My tensioner on my aux belt is jumping around like mad on idle, a slight rev and it goes. It feels pretty weak when I put a 16mm spanner on the release.

Read here about the alternator clutch, so I removed belt and put a screw driver between the fans in unit, but the pulley won't go either way, it's
    Locked with the fans.

Usually I would think this was ok, but can anyone shed some light on this? I think the tensioner is at fault being too weak. But I never know with this German engineering lol.

Johnno
    login to remove this ad
  2. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    The alternator pulley on all A4-and-later TDIs is supposed to be a one-way (so-called "clutched") unit that turns the alternator when turned clockwise, and lets the alternator "slip" ahead when turned counter-clockwise... Yours sounds like a classic case of one that has locked up... yes, it will cause the tensioner to bounce around like crazy... (you need special splined tools to remove the pulley from the alternator shaft...)

All the best,

Yuri
  3. Johnno

Johnno New Member

Car:
    Vw Golf 2002
    Won't a hammer do?

It's a golf does it run the same system? Hate these cars!
  4. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Active Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    About as well as using a hammer to remove the radio. If you have a big enough hammer and swing it long enough and hard enough, you can remove anything with it.

The tool Is 2 pieces. one part holds the alternator shaft while the other part spins the center part of the pulley off of the alternator shaft.
  5. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Just send your golf up to me bud, I like them very much :D
  6. Johnno

Johnno New Member

Car:
    Vw Golf 2002
    I have been a technician on trucks all my life and I've never come across so much bollocs on one car.

A sledge will do. Through the roof.

Anyway is there a aftermarket fitting with no clutch in?
  7. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Active Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    You could use a gasser pulley. But then you would be right back were you are now because your pulley is acting exactly like a solid gasser pulley does. The belt would still be jumping around at idle, and over time destroying the tensioner.

The clutched pulley is there for an extremely valid reason on TDI's.