ALH injection pump timing

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by mrmetric, May 19, 2017.

1. mrmetric

mrmetric New Member

Car:
    2003 New Beetle TDI
    New to forum use, old to wrenching on VWs--as in air-cooled-- and frustrated at the lack of detailed repair info even on Mitchell, Alldata and Snap-on Solus Edge. You guys look to be the Mother Lode and I look forward to sharing lots of my painful lessons for insight into TDI world. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

2. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Welcome to MyTurboDiesel... did you have a specific question WRT injection pump timing? Do you have access to VCDS (new name for Vag-Com) or an equivalent diagnostic tool?

Yuri

3. mrmetric

mrmetric New Member

Car:
    2003 New Beetle TDI
    Thanks for asking, primarily concerned with change of sprocket bolts from angle torque back to conventional and which way to shade pump timing. I am a shop with SnapOn Solus Edge and am thinking 62-65 degrees? At 70 now and boy does it start great but am in CA heat and think that is a bit much. My whine is why send crank seal in kit and not stretch bolt for balancer along with all that other hardware--grr. It is all good though and you guys are a great resource, thanks again

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

4. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    well vcds/vag-com sets it via a graph of fuel temp vs fuel quanity.. not degrees... so doubt the snap on tool will do much for you.. at least in good/useful info

be careful on the length of those 3 bolts as too long will cause greif..

most people lack the tools for the crankseal.. its a tty bolt too.. but same seal behind cam gear.. so kit came with 2 or 1? you need a way to lock the crank to do a twist of said bolt

5. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    The crankshaft and camshaft seals are not the same... 35x45x10 for the crank... 32x42x10 for the cam...

Yuri