1. mech644

mech644 New Member

Car:
    '00 Golf, '97 B4
    Installed a new TB kit on a '97 B4 that recently purchased. Car/engine has 135k; have every receipt from new, OC every 5k, this will be its 3rd belt.
    Followed the TB instructions from the FAQ list to the letter.
    Lined everything up using Metalnerd tools,
    Torqued bolts/nuts in proper sequence
    Roll the engine over a few times and re-align marks,
    Now the pump pin won't even begin to line up with the hole, appears to be off about half the diameter of the pin
    Yes, I did remove the pin before setting belt tensioner
    Pump is about 1/2 way between limits of mechanical adjustment
    Also made sure wrap the belt on c-clockwise from crank, to idler pulley, to pump, then put cam sprocket in belt and slide sprocket onto cam snout
    Have not tried to start engine yet
    Do I have issues here or this normal?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    That sounds a little far off than I remember. I would reset everything to TDC and do it again. Make sure that you're turning the belt from the crank sprocket, if you turn it at the injection pump sprocket it can jump a tooth. Something is off.

If it's a mm off I would say forget it and adjust the pump using VCDS but that is farther off that I remember.
  3. mech644

mech644 New Member

Car:
    '00 Golf, '97 B4
    turned engine from crank exclusively,
    set the belt up 3 times, with same result each time
    crank and cam line up fine, only the pump that is off.
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It can be off slightly due to tensioning the belt, is the camshaft sprocket flat and rotating OK? If everything appears OK I would move forward and adjust pump position with VCDS. If the pump is too far off it won't start. If the pump is off slightly you can adjust it using VCDS and it's the same thing as if it were perfect.

If the pump is outside acceptable boundaries there will be no engine damage, the injection just won't be timed right and the ECU will know this. It's not like the cam-crank relationship.
  5. audi1z

audi1z Member

Car:
    Audi 80 1Z Engine
    Hi,
    You must fix the pump sprocket during installing the belt. With the pin inserted, even have it turned clockwise until stop when installing the belt. Otherwise the pump turns about one tooth counterclockwise.
    I do the further installation of the belt like you - put cam sprocket in belt and slide sprocket onto cam snout. Next the relay roller, and finally adjust the tension roller (already installed).
    Cheers
    Audi1Z